candle and birds

Partiallochnest

Aug 24, 2023
Parrots
Whisky, Lullaby
hey yall so birds were fine after the gasoline spill and before i say the next thing, my family doesn't listen to anything I say and keep telling me "noooooo they're finneeee" I'm also 14 (hence is why they don't listen to me) and my mom and sister keep telling me in overdramtic.

So basically my mom lit a candle about 25 feet away from my birds, it was one of those stupid bed bath and beyond candles, the fall collection I think. I've been pretty sick lately so I didn't know she lit it. (I put the candle out, turned on the fan and left the door outside open to let it out)

What else do i do to ensure their safety? I love my birds Whisky and Lullaby, and would hate if my family's ignorance of my words got them killed.
Also would could I say to my mom?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Sorry you have to deal with that, if nothing else you could try googling some warnings from vet articles and such about scents and smoke being bad for birds and text links to those articles. Things like that are "fine" until they suddenly aren't and you have dead birds.

I hope I never become the kind of parent who ignores when my kid tries to educate me on things I don't know about :/... good luck....

OP
P

Partiallochnest

Aug 24, 2023
Parrots
Whisky, Lullaby
Sorry you have to deal with that, if nothing else you could try googling some warnings from vet articles and such about scents and smoke being bad for birds and text links to those articles. Things like that are "fine" until they suddenly aren't and you have dead birds.

I hope I never become the kind of parent who ignores when my kid tries to educate me on things I don't know about :/... good luck....
Yeah, it's frustrating, birds seem like they're doing OK, I might convince her to make her own candles (she's been wanting too since forever) and I was thinking I could make soy bean candles or goat milk, and I've found some bird safe wicks as well

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Impress on them that birds are flamable and that the entire house could burn down.....

Also... nevermind I have a strong opinion but I'll keep it to myself.

Most Reactions

Latest posts