LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Sorry for some of the gross stuff but this video has some interesting historical info.

It always made me very sad to know there were SO many Carolina parakeets around and that they were all destroyed for nothing more than a whim of fashion :( I did NOT know however that they were poisonous due to their diet, nor that they were more closely related to conures! Thanks for sharing this great video, Wes, I think it would be wonderful if these beautiful birds could be restored to the skies!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It always made me very sad to know there were SO many Carolina parakeets around and that they were all destroyed for nothing more than a whim of fashion :( I did NOT know however that they were poisonous due to their diet, nor that they were more closely related to conures! Thanks for sharing this great video, Wes, I think it would be wonderful if these beautiful birds could be restored to the skies!
Farmers were I think a bigger reason for their extinction .
When a flock of them would come down on a newly budding orchard and completely destroy the entire crop.

And their tendency to try to help there flock mates when injured made them easy pickings.

But I too would love to see the return of this native American parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts