tresanewgrieve

Mar 20, 2016
southern oregon
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Budgies
Love birds
Cockatiel
So it's been over 24 hours now and my bird is still eating and drinking. I hope this means that she will make it.... yesterday morning the cat got a hold of her. I grabbed her instantly washed her wounds excessively with peroxide and then alcohol and then have had her under a heat light.. with the exception of having a harder time flying since wounds are under her wings she seems very normal sitting on the purch on one leg and grooming herself.. hopping down to drink water with Amoxicillin in it and eating. But I'm scared to relax and think she's going to make it any opinions does anyone know of anything I should be doing besides taking her to the vet..I already know I need to do but cannot:yellow2:

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Is there a particular reason you cannot take your bird to the vet? Giving OTC meds are truly not a good idea. :(

Injuries caused by cats (and/or other predators) all too often end up with fatal results if not treated properly by an avian vet very soon after the injuries occurred, unfortunately.

OP
tresanewgrieve

tresanewgrieve

Mar 20, 2016
southern oregon
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Budgies
Love birds
Cockatiel
Finances.. vet would give me an amoxicillin something else combination anyways and say good luck.. been there done that! For the bird not having guarantee odds to begin with.. well OTC could be dangerous nothing would be more

OP
tresanewgrieve

tresanewgrieve

Mar 20, 2016
southern oregon
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Budgies
Love birds
Cockatiel
48hrs in and she is still doing great! Hope she keeps it up she is acting totaly normal... fingers crossed!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I really hope your budgie completely recovers.

OP
tresanewgrieve

tresanewgrieve

Mar 20, 2016
southern oregon
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Budgies
Love birds
Cockatiel
Me too so far she is doing great and its been over 48hrs.. she is grooming herself her stool is normal she's eating and drinking and getting around good and no fluffed feathers.. she had wounds under both her wings and her chest I drenched that poor bird and peroxide and alcohol.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Definitely not in the clear. Even if the physical wounds are doing well there COULD be an infection. An infection could take a few days to show itself, especially being that birds will hide sickness. I truly hope your bird gets better. Also you need to reconsider your mindset on veterinary care.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am honestly very happy to hear that your budgie appears to be fine. :)

I want everyone reading and/or following this thread to know that it's ALWAYS recommended to take your bird to an avian vet after an attack/injury/bite from another animal, ESPECIALLY a cat or a dog, no matter how small the injury appears to be.

Please, do NOT self-medicate your bird. It could have fatal results.

Lastly, if you must expose your fids to your other animals, please take every possible precaution to avoid an accident such as this one. :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I am honestly very happy to hear that your budgie appears to be fine. :)

I want everyone reading and/or following this thread to know that it's ALWAYS recommended to take your bird to an avian vet after an attack/injury/bite from another animal, ESPECIALLY a cat or a dog, no matter how small the injury appears to be.

Please, do NOT self-medicate your bird. It could have fatal results.

Lastly, if you must expose your fids to your other animals, please take every possible precaution to avoid an accident such as this one. :)
I wholeheartedly cosign on this post! Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions