Catalina or Harlequin?

MarkB

Jul 1, 2017
Looking for help from the community. This amazing boy is 25 years old and we are his 3rd family. We rescued him from a home in which he spent many years inside of a cage that was wired shut. As you'll see, no more wired cages for our boy! We were told he is a Catalina but I'm having my doubts.

Anyone care to examine the photos and take a guess? Catalina or Harlequin?

Thank you!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am not familiar with macaw hybrid identification but did want to thank you for rescuing this beautiful boy and freeing him from being imprisoned in a cage all the time. He looks like he's in good feather and settling in quite well with you. How long have you had him? Does he have a name?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
What a handsome boy!! I'm a huge fan of harlequins!

Im saying harlequin. Im reading you can tell the difference with the beak (I have yet to see distinguishing characteristics between the two), but your boy has red feathers in the eyepatch, a hallmark of GWs.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I would say Catalina myself. He looks a lot like the two I was babysitting. Here are a few pics of them, maybe it will help you decide what you think he is.
a679d916ae293a076a0ca3707a355128.jpg
1215697ece9951eabed2f8a6b109bd10.jpg
70422e977ee133f6bcd331acab7e6742.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
You know what, I see the beaks difference and I'm doubling down. Harlequins beak shape takes after the greenwing. Scarlett's have stubbier beaks than harlequins, a trait that I've noticed carries into the Catalina's (you can see the stubby beaks in Outlawed spirits gorgeous Catalinas). Your boy has much more elongated, prominent beak closer to that of a greenwing.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
You know what, I see the beaks difference and I'm doubling down. Harlequins beak shape takes after the greenwing. Scarlett's have stubbier beaks than harlequins, a trait that I've noticed carries into the Catalina's (you can see the stubby beaks in Outlawed spirits gorgeous Catalinas). Your boy has much more elongated, prominent beak closer to that of a greenwing.
I do see what you mean, Chris, and I may just have to agree with you. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
M

MarkB

Jul 1, 2017
I am not familiar with macaw hybrid identification but did want to thank you for rescuing this beautiful boy and freeing him from being imprisoned in a cage all the time. He looks like he's in good feather and settling in quite well with you. How long have you had him? Does he have a name?

Many people think of us when they hear of a bird needing help (or just a new home) as we've been known locally for having a lot of birds. Eclectus, Grey's, Amazons (all types), Cockatoo's, Macaws, Lories, etc. and etc. have all called this place home. When I saw this boy I knew right away he was coming home with us. Thanks for the kind words.

We've had him about 6 months now and yes, he has a name. I purposely did not divulge his name in this post as I didn't want to sway anyone's opinion on what he is. As I mentioned, he is 25 years old and has had the same name his whole life. His previous human told me he was a Catalina but I doubted it from the start (although I love Catalina's too). His name, Harley, was a dead giveaway for me to think the previous owner was mistaken.

Thanks again!
Mark

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
I agree with everyone, he looks like a Harlequin to me. What a beautiful bird!!!

My Catalina has a bigger beak and no black feathers around her eyes similar to a Scarlet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
Forgot to say, thank you for giving him a home! So sad he was wired in a cage- I just can't imagine! Heartbreaking but look at how happy he looks with you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
What a gorgeous guy! Oh, thank you for getting him out of that cage. Makes me sick to my stomach just to think of that for a second.

Most Reactions