Catching cold?

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
I've heard that birds can catch a human cold from many people and then Ive heard the opposite.Ive researched it and got mixed opinions.I have a bad cold right now and I want to be with my bird but I've tried to limit contact with her.But its as if she knows I'm sick and today she crawled on my shoulder and acted as nice as could be.Ive had a runny nose and was afraid shed catch me off guard and bite my nose lol but I'm guessing human mucus is not good for birds.Luckily she didn't but I just thought"did I wipe my nose without thinking on the shoulder she was standing on?So I went and washed her feet.Im just afraid to be around her.What are your guys opinions?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm not certain either what they may or may not be able to catch. But, since I know we carry bacteria in our mouths that can be dangerous to birds, when I'm sick, I limit my interaction with them, just in case. I suppose the best way to find out might be to call your vet and ask his/her opinion.

OP
suncon97

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
Thanks for replying:) I'll let her out of the cage but only touch her while putting her back in.Im not taking any chances.

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
I was wondering the same thing I woke up today with a sore throat and funny nose. I have been being very cautious with JJ so she doesn't get sick just incase. I know I used to work at a petstore who had an Amazon as a mascot she would share her jolly ranchers with him. Well one day she had a cold and she shared the jolly rancher and immediately freaked out and took it away since she was sick.

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus
Thanks for asking! i woke up with the cold symptoms today too and it got me wondering if i would have to avoid my bird when im sick the next time!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Most human diseases, including those that cause the common cold and the flu, are not transmittable to our companion birds. If exposed to certain viruses or bacterial infections known to afflict parrots, your bird could develop an infection on her own even if her human family is healthy. These risks can be minimized by practicing good hygiene yourself, including limiting your exposure to other birds at stores, bird marts and club meetings and cleaning your hands thoroughly before feeding or touching your own bird. Also, avoid allowing your bird to come into contact with your saliva through sharing food or kissing her on the beak. A healthy parrot with a strong immune system should be able to fight most viral or bacterial infections.

Most Reactions