cause of parrot zooms?

Ecles

Sep 27, 2011
I've had this guy a week and giving him time to adjust. He seemed the typical calm watchful quiet type but this afternoon Yoshi went into turbo mode. He's been warming to the puzzle toy with almonds in it, which is in his cage next to a red colored chili-flavored cuttlebone. I was happy he was getting more curious and animated, clamboring around the cage, taking a few nibbles of the cuttlebone. Then I turn around and suddenly he has utterly destroyed the thing, a pile of red dust on the bottom of the cage, red staining his beak and he's got this wild look. He starts snaking and lunging at the toy, and what I can only describe as attacking the cuttlebone. Then he starts climibing turbo-speed around the cage, pumping his head like an agitated pigeon, ruffling his feathers and flapping wildly in the cage. The expression I can only describe as 'hawk'. Hard to descibe the speed and motion -- sort of like an epileptic fit only coordinated, like someone had pressed the fast fast foward button on my parrot.

Maybe it was because I turned the lights up and he was feeling alert and cocky. Or is it possible to over-dose on almonds? Or is this a parrot version of the 10pm puppy zooms?

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
It does sound just like a happy parrot - or your "puppy zooms"

Often Auggie will go into crazy modes. When in these modes/moods he loves to play and thrash - but if yours is anything like mine, be careful: he's just as happy to thrash fingers as he is toys in the heat of the moment.

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
Consider it a good thing. It allows him to burn off some energy! With agressive birds, they say it is good for them to attack toys because they will be less agressive when out of the cage. Either way, it's good!

OP
E

Ecles

Sep 27, 2011
Thanks for your encouragements! I think in his case it was a case of cabin fever. I had just got him a week before and he had been in his subdued, quiet mode for that long. This was evidently a case of him kicking off his shoes with a very big kick to get relaxed and feel at home.

Since then he's been exercizng his wings more when he's out of the cage, doing somersaults on his perches for treats, talking, exploring new toys, figuring out his little puzzle toy, hanigng upside down, a very animated fellow!

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
ha! my boy has a case of the 'zooms' for a couple of hours a day...He attacks and growls at his toys, snakes his neck and makes all kind of funny noises. It cracks me up!

Ive found he is most playful during these times, he REALLy gets into a game of peekaboo. Id be careful playing when he is amped up if your bird is aggresive though...or stay out of beaks reach!

I think its just a sign of an active, healthy bird so dont stress! Ive given mine a stuffed bear bigger than him which he spends hours 'teaching a lesson' every day lol

OP
E

Ecles

Sep 27, 2011
Thank you all, things are coming along well. Yes, definitely a case of a lesson in Moods. Yoshi has his happy talking hour, his antics hour, his "I'm going to stuff my face and hten sit and preen" routine worked down. We interact great even when sometimes he thinks I have cooties or something. Last ngiht he spent a good while snuggled on my arm while I typed at the computer, today he's enjoying a pumpkin feast. That is such a delightful side to these parrots, so much time in the relationship getting to know them and appreciate their plucky little selves.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
LOL I love it when Puck does this! He's sooooooo silly! He dances around, bounces up and down really fast, zig zags, make silly noises, etc. I refer to it as "crazybird", since he gets a crazed look in his eyes.

You just have to to decide whether you want to risk putting your flesh by their beak when they're like it.

mygirl

Banned
Banned
Oct 4, 2010
Parrots
Female Eclectus
be carefull giving eclectus cuttlebone, we gave mylah one and she went crazy and ate nearly all of it at once and it made her get a blocked crop, she was really sick, we dont give her any cuttlebone anymore our vet said they get enough calcium from there food

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Sometimes Puck actually makes dinosaur-sounding noises! LOL

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
Somtimes Pearl will just start attacking her toys all of a sudden. Biting them,swinging on them,hanging upside down on them and attacking,then all of a sudden she calms and does and innocent series of chirps. All of the attacking is during the dinosaur sounding noises mentioned too!

Pinkbullets

Aug 23, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Luna: solomon island eclectus
Evie: red-sided eclectus
Yep! Haha.
My husband and I will lay on the couch giggling at her, and I always hum the Jurassic Park theme song :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts