My cockatiel had red onion, not sure how much

Anangam

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
Hello!
I’m usually very careful I don’t cook with my tiels around, this time I got a call and got distracted and my girl Chakri had a left over of onion on top of her beak, I fricked out of course as I know it’s toxic, took the rest off her but I’m sure she had a munch, it’s been now more than an hour and a half, she is acting fine, flying chirping, eating apple, so my question is how long do I have to keep an eye on her ? I have to go out of home but I’m paranoid to leave her.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I gave my amazons a nixed veggie selection that had onions in it .
I did not notice for a few days.
nothing happened.

don’t know if onion is toxic or just bad for them.
avocado = potential deadly.
chocolate, coffee = bad but they won’t fall over dead if they get one sip of hot chocolate or coffee.

I think onion is second category.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I agree with texsize, a little onion shouldn’t be serious. Onions and garlic can cause Heinz body anemia ( damage to red blood cells) but it would most likely take a reasonably high amount of onion eaten daily for several days or weeks. Of course, it’s still something to avoid but your little bird should be ok . ❤️

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
From what I understand, onions can cause red blood cells to rupture. Which would cause anemia and lethargy if they ate a lot. A little bit will probably not affect them at all as its not actually poison. They would have to likely regularly eat it to experience anemia. So just keep an eye on your bird and watch for lethargy but they will most definitely be okay.

Most Reactions

Latest posts