Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Usually when I adopt a bird, I keep their names, but for some reason, the Timneh Grey I'm interested in sound slike a 'Vortex' to me. What are your recommendations on changing a bird's name, especially with one as sensitive as a grey? Thanks!

Aquatic7

Jan 4, 2024
Parrots
Zeus the Bearded Dragon (I dont have a parrot ): )
Usually, I feel like a bird getting its name changed wouldn't be a big deal, and I think Vortex is a neat name, the only thing Iḿ not entirely sure of is how an African Gray, one of the smartest animals on the planet, would react to being called a different name, would he respond? Would he understand? Would he adapt to it?
IDK just my thoughts

OP
Vampiric_Conure

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Usually, I feel like a bird getting its name changed wouldn't be a big deal, and I think Vortex is a neat name, the only thing Iḿ not entirely sure of is how an African Gray, one of the smartest animals on the planet, would react to being called a different name, would he respond? Would he understand? Would he adapt to it?
IDK just my thoughts
That's my concern, too. Maybe in ht end i'll ask him if i can change his name. Who knows.. he might say yes :D !

Aquatic7

Jan 4, 2024
Parrots
Zeus the Bearded Dragon (I dont have a parrot ): )
That's my concern, too. Maybe in ht end i'll ask him if i can change his name. Who knows.. he might say yes :D !
I'm sure you could still train it to take a second name, or just switch its name. They're smart birds, just call him Vortex when training and chilling with him and the likes. But if you ever need something serious(him coming over to you or whatever), call him his original name. Obviously, I'm sure you could still train him to take a new name, the brilliance of those birds is crazy!
Best of luck regardless. : )

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have always rescued very old, ill or abused Amazons and have found that maintaining the Name was a solid means of providing a foundation to work forward from!

Grey's are highly intelligent and very sensitive Parrots and I strongly recommend maintaining the name!

Most Reactions