Changing cage?

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank
Ill be picking up a 2yr old Sun Conure this coming sunday on craigslist with cage... any tips what should i do to transfer him in new cage? he's a hand fed

00E0E_9anZT324SkN_600x450_zpsb93a3fe6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

00n0n_9ifDU2yWxy6_600x450_zpsbb04fd6d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I think that all really depends on the temperament of the bird. If he's very nervous and stressed, placing him in the new cage right away won't be so much fun. What you could do is leave the cages next to each other and leave the doors open so he has the choice to explore and enjoy his new cage. Once he seems okay with it, I'm sure you could make an easy transition.

When I switched Avery to a new cage, the only issue she had is the location of her snuggle hut. She was crying all night because she didn't like the position of it and wouldn't go to bed because of it. I had to experiment with her until she was happy with it, and since then I've had no problems. Her perches and toys may change, but her sleeping spot needs to stay the same or have mercy on us all, haha!

If he's anything like Avery, a new cage won't be such a big deal. But because he's switching homes and probably going to experience stress, I would let him make the transition on his own. Having his cage and its familiarity will likely help him calm down if he's frightened.

Congratulations on your new baby, and I look forward to hearing more and seeing more! He's absolutely gorgeous :D

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank
I think that all really depends on the temperament of the bird. If he's very nervous and stressed, placing him in the new cage right away won't be so much fun. What you could do is leave the cages next to each other and leave the doors open so he has the choice to explore and enjoy his new cage. Once he seems okay with it, I'm sure you could make an easy transition.

When I switched Avery to a new cage, the only issue she had is the location of her snuggle hut. She was crying all night because she didn't like the position of it and wouldn't go to bed because of it. I had to experiment with her until she was happy with it, and since then I've had no problems. Her perches and toys may change, but her sleeping spot needs to stay the same or have mercy on us all, haha!

If he's anything like Avery, a new cage won't be such a big deal. But because he's switching homes and probably going to experience stress, I would let him make the transition on his own. Having his cage and its familiarity will likely help him calm down if he's frightened.

Congratulations on your new baby, and I look forward to hearing more and seeing more! He's absolutely gorgeous :D

i was thinking the same thing.... good thing you mention about the snuggle hut... ill pay attention in the old cage and see what she gives important...

thanks for the advice

Eugooglizer

Nov 25, 2013
Underland
Parrots
Ezio the Nanday Conure & Buddy the Jenday Conure
Congrats on your new buddy! I noticed that we live in the same area and I'm fairly certain I've seen the Sun Conure you're getting on CL while I was browsing it recently--he's gorgeous! I currently have a Nanday Conure and would love to add another parrot to my family but am still considering the pros and cons. Of course that hasn't kept me from ogling all the gorgeous birds I see listed needing new homes. Dinosrawr provided some great advice and it sounds like you're trying to be as prepared as possible so I think there's a very good chance of the transition process going well. Can't wait for updates after he's home with you!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If he comes with the cage already, keep everything the same! But keep observing him as location may matter with certain birds.

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank
Congrats on your new buddy! I noticed that we live in the same area and I'm fairly certain I've seen the Sun Conure you're getting on CL while I was browsing it recently--he's gorgeous! I currently have a Nanday Conure and would love to add another parrot to my family but am still considering the pros and cons. Of course that hasn't kept me from ogling all the gorgeous birds I see listed needing new homes. Dinosrawr provided some great advice and it sounds like you're trying to be as prepared as possible so I think there's a very good chance of the transition process going well. Can't wait for updates after he's home with you!

Thanks....

If he comes with the cage already, keep everything the same! But keep observing him as location may matter with certain birds.

Yea I'm having a second thought about the 2 yr old sun conure..... I'm thinking that just get the one that is really young... like a breeder in Bowie TX has some hatchling already and he said they gonan be ready in a few weeks..

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Why don't you visit the 2 year old and go from there? You would have missed the naughty stage they go through for awhile at 2 years old. Do think about it, baby isn't always the best option.

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank
Why don't you visit the 2 year old and go from there? You would have missed the naughty stage they go through for awhile at 2 years old. Do think about it, baby isn't always the best option.

Yea i have thought of that last night and i am going to visit it... and lets see from there what happen.... you mention to take out the nest box for them not to breed, since I'm new to this, hows that stopping them from laying eggs? isn't once the bird is pregnant it will lay eggs with or with out the nest box?

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Bird will mate at times but it doesn't mean they will lay! Your not even sure on the sex of your Lovebirds so they may not even be fertile as two females together will still lay regardless if there's a male or not. I used to raise Lovebirds!

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank
Bird will mate at times but it doesn't mean they will lay! Your not even sure on the sex of your Lovebirds so they may not even be fertile as two females together will still lay regardless if there's a male or not. I used to raise Lovebirds!

That explains it.. thanks again

Most Reactions

Latest posts