Got my nails done, green cheek aggressive towards me now

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, I have a 1 year old pineapple green cheek conure named PiƱa. We have a great bond. I got my nails done on Sunday by my daughter and after that. I couldn't hold PiƱa anymore, he kept biting me hard & lunging towards my hand. He let's me pet his head still, but not hold him. I know it's because he doesn't like my nails. I can tell he's scared of them. I didn't realize they get fearful of nails being painted or done. Lesson learned! I choose my bird over nails, I'm going to my daughter's house today to get them taken off. Do you think I will be able to hold him after I get them off? Did getting my nails done break his trust in me? Any advice would be appreciated on this matter. Thanks everyone!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
It's a pretty common problem that conures hate new things - I don't think the relationship is broken forever - he either has to get used to or changing it back - conures usually act back normal when the new thing is "removed"

OP
PiƱasmom76

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
It's a pretty common problem that conures hate new things - I don't think the relationship is broken forever - he either has to get used to or changing it back - conures usually act back normal when the new thing is "removed"
Thank you so much, I haven't been able to hold him since Sunday morning. He still gets excited to see me & I've been talking to him through his cage, but hiding nails. I'm going at 10:30 to get them removed & I can't wait to hold him again. I hope he let's me, it breaks my heart when he doesn't want me to, but I understand why.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I can't promise it will work but I hope so, at least I haven't heard about such case of conure being mad even after the removal. Good luck, I hope it will fix your relationship

OP
PiƱasmom76

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
I can't promise it will work but I hope so, at least I haven't heard about such case of conure being mad even after the removal. Good luck, I hope it will fix your relationship
Thank you. I'm hoping so to!

conure123

Feb 21, 2024
Parrots
Conure, budgie
hey this happened to me too as i get long acrylic nails he would bite them but i found when heā€™s showing aggression towards them i just place him on a different surface to tell him no. heā€™s been good lately and reward ur bird when heā€™s not biting . while ur bird is in the cage you can also rest ur hand on it so he gets to see them without feeling scared

OP
PiƱasmom76

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
hey this happened to me too as i get long acrylic nails he would bite them but i found when heā€™s showing aggression towards them i just place him on a different surface to tell him no. heā€™s been good lately and reward ur bird when heā€™s not biting . while ur bird is in the cage you can also rest ur hand on it so he gets to see them without feeling scared
Thank you so much for the advice! I got my nails off today. He came right to me, no problem, no biting. I just bathed him, we are going to chill in my sunny bay window in the sun room for him to dry & soak up the rays. I'm so relieved!

OP
PiƱasmom76

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
UPDATE:
Nails were removed. I went to get PiƱa, he came right to me with no problems or biting. I'm so relieved! I bathed him, now we are chilling in my sun room bay window soaking up some sun rays together. I'm so relieved! Thank you to all who replied & gave me advice! It's greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240305_114152.jpg
    20240305_114152.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240305_115142.jpg
    20240305_115142.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 8

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I can tell you were worried but it did make me smile. I have learned to take jewellery out to the car and put it on there. Earings he simply removes as soon as he spies them. My engagement ring he hates and won't come near and necklaces he thinks are there for him to destroy.
I think the biggest thing we learn when we give a parrot a home is that we live with them rather than the other way around. You have had your first lesson. Congratulations you are well on your way to becoming the lodger.

OP
PiƱasmom76

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
I can tell you were worried but it did make me smile. I have learned to take jewellery out to the car and put it on there. Earings he simply removes as soon as he spies them. My engagement ring he hates and won't come near and necklaces he thinks are there for him to destroy.
I think the biggest thing we learn when we give a parrot a home is that we live with them rather than the other way around. You have had your first lesson. Congratulations you are well on your way to becoming the lodger.
Thank you, yes so very true! I agree with you on living with them. I was definitely worried & upset about it. I'm just so happy it all worked out. We've been hanging out all afternoon & we are both sucking up the attention from one another. We love our babies and do whatever is necessary to keep them happy & comfortable!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Thank you, yes so very true! I agree with you on living with them. I was definitely worried & upset about it. I'm just so happy it all worked out. We've been hanging out all afternoon & we are both sucking up the attention from one another. We love our babies and do whatever is necessary to keep them happy & comfortable!
Perhaps you could break him in gently with neutral colours and gradually up the anti as he gets used to the 10 little villains who suddenly invade your hands.

OP
PiƱasmom76

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
Perhaps you could break him in gently with neutral colours and gradually up the anti as he gets used to the 10 little villains who suddenly invade your hands.
Actually, I'm not one who really ever got my nails done. I just kinda had the urge to do so, since my daughter is a nail technician. I probably won't do it again. Maybe a subtle French manicure with my natural nails someday. We'll see though!

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
UPDATE:
Nails were removed. I went to get PiƱa, he came right to me with no problems or biting. I'm so relieved! I bathed him, now we are chilling in my sun room bay window soaking up some sun rays together. I'm so relieved! Thank you to all who replied & gave me advice! It's greatly appreciated!
Off topic but PiƱa is so cute!! I love his name :) please post more picture of him!

OP
PiƱasmom76

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots

Attachments

• 20240214_180045.jpg
    20240214_180045.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240205_101427.jpg
    20240205_101427.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240122_125957.jpg
    20240122_125957.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231224_162658.jpg
    20231224_162658.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 6

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
šŸ©¹ band aids- glasses šŸ‘“ baseball cap šŸ§¢.
all of these things will cause my yellow nape to attack.

anything that changes your appearance can cause your bird to reject you.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, I have a 1 year old pineapple green cheek conure named PiƱa. We have a great bond. I got my nails done on Sunday by my daughter and after that. I couldn't hold PiƱa anymore, he kept biting me hard & lunging towards my hand. He let's me pet his head still, but not hold him. I know it's because he doesn't like my nails. I can tell he's scared of them. I didn't realize they get fearful of nails being painted or done. Lesson learned! I choose my bird over nails, I'm going to my daughter's house today to get them taken off. Do you think I will be able to hold him after I get them off? Did getting my nails done break his trust in me? Any advice would be appreciated on this matter. Thanks everyone!
Hahaha looks like PiƱa does not like your new nails, their scary. It's a hint, natural is always nicer.
But like someone else was saying any difference in your appearance can cause your bird to reject you

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
LOL I was going through a black phase dress-wise and then changed colour! Oh dear you'd have thought it was the end of Syd's world. From then on I made sure that I was an ever changing vision of loveliness so he wouldn't get a fixed idea of who I am. Sometimes he still waits for me to speak before he is certain. I had a new red house coat. Goodness me it took days before he was happy to exit his night cage each morning but wo betide me if I don't have it done up as he expects even now. Change is definitely not his forte!

OP
PiƱasmom76

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
šŸ©¹ band aids- glasses šŸ‘“ baseball cap šŸ§¢.
all of these things will cause my yellow nape to attack.

anything that changes your appearance can cause your bird to reject you.
I learned my lesson! Lol! My PiƱa is more important than my nails looking pretty.

OP
PiƱasmom76

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
Hahaha looks like PiƱa does not like your new nails, their scary. It's a hint, natural is always nicer.
But like someone else was saying any difference in your appearance can cause your bird to reject you
Oh no, he definitely did not! I agree natural is definitely nicer. I'm not one to really get nails done, never really was. I just felt like it, my mistake, lesson learned! Will never do that again. Making my PiƱa happy is what's most important to me. šŸ¦œā¤

OP
PiƱasmom76

PiƱasmom76

Mar 5, 2024
Parrots
LOL I was going through a black phase dress-wise and then changed colour! Oh dear you'd have thought it was the end of Syd's world. From then on I made sure that I was an ever changing vision of loveliness so he wouldn't get a fixed idea of who I am. Sometimes he still waits for me to speak before he is certain. I had a new red house coat. Goodness me it took days before he was happy to exit his night cage each morning but wo betide me if I don't have it done up as he expects even now. Change is definitely not his forte!
I'm definitely learning PiƱa doesn't like the change either.

Most Reactions

Latest posts