kentuckienne-albums-assorted-picture17755-image.jpeg

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I love this story.
WHATS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE?????
Maybe the wonderful goodness of people like Terry has to be balanced out with creeps like the abusers. Naw... naw... I keep trying to explain the unexplainabe.
But Terry *IS* wonderful.
So is Charley.

Ms Gail...You da maaa...errr...WOOmann!! ;) :60: :04:

Jim

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
you're not wrong Terry. I may give a call to the local RSPCA and let them know if/when they get any parrots in I'd be willing to lend my time to help them out

maybe phone around some places and see if they could do with some part-time help

I didn't see the bit about smoke going in the face when I posted. I don't understand people like that. I mean come on it's one thing to do that to yourself but to do it to an animal that doesn't understand what's happening for your amusement. Let's just say if I could I would like to spend a night alone with that person

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Terry, I am so glad Charlie found his way to you and is finally starting to feel more like a bird than a meth zombie, poor little guy:( Hopefully any damage from the drugs was not permanent and he can now go on to have a happy and healthy life.

P.S. WTF is wrong with people blowing meth smoke in a birds face?!:mad: I hope the meth head and the meth cook were both jailed for a good long time.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
you're not wrong Terry. I may give a call to the local RSPCA and let them know if/when they get any parrots in I'd be willing to lend my time to help them out

maybe phone around some places and see if they could do with some part-time help

I didn't see the bit about smoke going in the face when I posted. I don't understand people like that. I mean come on it's one thing to do that to yourself but to do it to an animal that doesn't understand what's happening for your amusement. Let's just say if I could I would like to spend a night alone with that person

The RSPCA is a great idea! Please let us know what they say, that would definitely be a win/win.

I don't understand why anyone would find it amusing in any way, and hope that karma finds them and takes care of it.

Terry, I am so glad Charlie found his way to you and is finally starting to feel more like a bird than a meth zombie, poor little guy:( Hopefully any damage from the drugs was not permanent and he can now go on to have a happy and healthy life.

P.S. WTF is wrong with people blowing meth smoke in a birds face?!:mad: I hope the meth head and the meth cook were both jailed for a good long time.

As far as I know, no one went to jail. Charley came from several hours away from where I live, so it was no one local. I do know that multiple people were involved in getting him here, sort of a rescue relay. Only time will tell about permanent damage, but with no symptoms for awhile now I am hopeful!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Terr, you are nothing short of a miracle worker for birds, my friend. I remember when you first took Charley in, and told me of all of his symptoms. (It was during a chat we'd had a little after my back surgery, so I remember it like it was yesterday.) I remember being rather daunted at the magnitude of what you were taking on. A meth-addicted cockatoo?!? A drug free 'too can be challenging enough. It takes a special person to hear of a cockatoo in Charley's condition and decide to step into the breach.

There are a ton of rescue stories from the birds in your care. So many rescued from hateful and despicable circumstances only to have their lives turned around in your loving care. I know they'd all thank you if they could... so I'll do it on their behalf. Thank you, Terry, for all that you've done and continue to do for those birds who most need it.

Please give Charley a few extra scritches for me.

Oh, and I too would love a pic of Reg in his suit of birds! Lol!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Terr, you are nothing short of a miracle worker for birds, my friend. I remember when you first took Charley in, and told me of all of his symptoms. (It was during a chat we'd had a little after my back surgery, so I remember it like it was yesterday.) I remember being rather daunted at the magnitude of what you were taking on. A meth-addicted cockatoo?!? A drug free 'too can be challenging enough. It takes a special person to hear of a cockatoo in Charley's condition and decide to step into the breach.

There are a ton of rescue stories from the birds in your care. So many rescued from hateful and despicable circumstances only to have their lives turned around in your loving care. I know they'd all thank you if they could... so I'll do it on their behalf. Thank you, Terry, for all that you've done and continue to do for those birds who most need it.

Please give Charley a few extra scritches for me.

Oh, and I too would love a pic of Reg in his suit of birds! Lol!

Stephen, thank you so much for your kind words, dear friend...they mean the world to me. Consider those scritches given!
Will get those pictures as soon as Reg stops working so late, things are crazy trying to get everything done without him with a bum hand, and the birds aren't going to bed until 10 so they still get their evening time out. Insanity.
We need another chat soon, miss those velvety tones!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Lately there have been a lot of reminders about how badly things can go when welcoming a cockatoo into your home. So many people don't know or understand the unique challenges that can come with taking in a 'too. And all too often, this ignorance results in the poor cockatoo being re-homed yet again.

But I just wanted to take a moment and revisit a thread wherein there was a positive outcome for the cockatoo in question (as well as for the parronts). Just a reminder of how things can go when a cockatoo, even after going through the most horrible life experiences imaginable, finds himself in the capable hands of the right kind of person. Sometimes something beautiful can happen.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Terry, Reg, and Charley are an inspiration and tribute to dedication, love, and hard work.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
it's really nice to see this thread brought back to light and be reminded there's some good on this rock.

How is charley doing these days?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
it's really nice to see this thread brought back to light and be reminded there's some good on this rock.

Well said, it is nice to see Charley's thread resurrected. His story resonates for many reasons. I knew Terry and her flock very well when she decided to adopt Charley, I knew if anyone could help the poor bird it would be Terry and Reg but I also knew the challenge they were taking on was tremendous. Charley's resilience and willingness to give humans another chance was incredible, I think he was aware from day one that finally he'd found a place to heal and thrive. Terry approached Charley's rehab like she approaches everything with her whole heart and soul and the question, "How can I help you, Charley?" What Charley, Terry and Reg have done together is almost magic.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots

Well said, it is nice to see Charley's thread resurrected. His story resonates for many reasons. I knew Terry and her flock very well when she decided to adopt Charley, I knew if anyone could help the poor bird it would be Terry and Reg but I also knew the challenge they were taking on was tremendous. Charley's resilience and willingness to give humans another chance was incredible, I think he was aware from day one that finally he'd found a place to heal and thrive. Terry approached Charley's rehab like she approaches everything with her whole heart and soul and the question, "How can I help you, Charley?" What Charley, Terry and Reg have done together is almost magic.

I can't remember who said it (may have been Noodles) but it was brought up that perhaps Cockatoos being as emotionally intelligent as they are understand intention. If anything could prove that to me it would be Charley being so prepared to open up with Terry

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
What a nice thing to wake up to this morning!
Thank you for bumping this, Stephen, I didn't realize how long it had been since I updated. Thank you all for your very kind words, I can't tell you how much I appreciate them.

Charley is doing really well. He is actually one of our easier birds to deal with now. He lets out a few screams when time for his afternoon nap ( just like any toddler), and sometimes screams in the middle of the night. We believe this is due to night terrors as he quiets right down after he is comforted.

He is a really happy guy, and can amuse himself for long periods of time. His favourite toys are pizza boxes (we buy unused ones in bulk) and we fill them with pieces of wood, cupcake holders, coffee filters, vine balls, etc. He will spend hours making a small hole in the box & taking everything out of it one item at a time, then replacing it all through that same small hole and starting over again.

I must confess that I was terrified when we decided to bring him home to work with him, and wondered if we were getting in over our head. I will be forever grateful that I didn't allow my fear to keep us from trying. We would have missed out on the incredible joy he brings us.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
sounds like Charley definitely found the right place. It's always nice about hearing of a bird who's had such a turn around. You should post a bit about your guys more! You've got a whole menagerie going on there of who, I suspect, to be delightful fids

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
sounds like Charley definitely found the right place. It's always nice about hearing of a bird who's had such a turn around. You should post a bit about your guys more! You've got a whole menagerie going on there of who, I suspect, to be delightful fids

Thank you for suggesting that, L. Triggs... I will start doing that as they all deserve to have their day in the limelight:) They are a delightful bunch, each special in his or her own way.

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Amazing and profound story of Charley. He's such a ham! It really is remarkable how resilient fids can be, with what so many stories. In your siggy ''I lost my mind but found my soul" I think you helped him find his soul again! :smile015:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What a nice thing to wake up to this morning!
Thank you for bumping this, Stephen, I didn't realize how long it had been since I updated. Thank you all for your very kind words, I can't tell you how much I appreciate them.

Charley is doing really well. He is actually one of our easier birds to deal with now. He lets out a few screams when time for his afternoon nap ( just like any toddler), and sometimes screams in the middle of the night. We believe this is due to night terrors as he quiets right down after he is comforted.

He is a really happy guy, and can amuse himself for long periods of time. His favourite toys are pizza boxes (we buy unused ones in bulk) and we fill them with pieces of wood, cupcake holders, coffee filters, vine balls, etc. He will spend hours making a small hole in the box & taking everything out of it one item at a time, then replacing it all through that same small hole and starting over again.

I must confess that I was terrified when we decided to bring him home to work with him, and wondered if we were getting in over our head. I will be forever grateful that I didn't allow my fear to keep us from trying. We would have missed out on the incredible joy he brings us.

That is a neat story! How very interesting that he makes a surgical incision and extracts and replaced. Lol sounds like you have some gems in foraging ideas you could be sharing with us less creative parronts! Look forward to more stories!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
I find this to be one of the most heart-warming stories on the forum. Charley hit the jackpot the day he found you, Terr!

And I definitely co-sign with Triggs: More stories from your flock!

Most Reactions