Cherry Conures (Fostering)

Jessica M

Aug 28, 2010
Florida
Parrots
I'm trying to find the right parrot for me
Hey peoples, at an animal shelter in my area their is a pair of cherry headed conures and im thinking about fostering them besides the basic stuff like they bite and scream what else can you tell me about them?

I have a choice between a pair of cherry headed conures, a pair of cockitels, or baby love birds, the reason why i am looking into the conure first is because their the least likely to be adopted i do not know if this animal shelter will put their animals down if their not adopted or in foster homes.

Right now they bite and are loud they have also plucked their feathers i think the cause of that is because the home they came from neglected them the animal shelter hasn't had them for that long.:green1::green1:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
First off, I applaud you for wanting to adopt a bird from a rescue shelter. But my recommendation would be for you to either buy your first bird from a pet shop or breeder and one that's preferrably hand fed and has been socialized.

The problems that you run into with rescued birds is that they have had a hard life and are very untrusting, not social at all, have health issues and will most likely BITE. First time bird owners are looking for that snuggle bug bird that is friendly, socialized and not bitey. This is usually accomplished during hand feeding. You could even find a breeder in your area who will allow you to come and help hand feed your bird.

Rescued birds take a LOT OF WORK & EXPERIENCE to try and overcome their issues. Now once you have your snuggle bug and feel that you are experienced enough to tackle a rescue bird, then by all means do it. I just don't want to see a rescued bird get bounced back and forth due to someone without experience trying to tackle issues that they are ill equipt to handle.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
AW is sounds like the conures need a good home so they can begin a new life with all the enrichments and understanding they need. I would choose them also. They are very active and curious birds. Previous message is a good one. If you have no bird experience most rescues would be a challange.

OP
Jessica M

Jessica M

Aug 28, 2010
Florida
Parrots
I'm trying to find the right parrot for me
Im not adopting them im going to foster them maybe if my parents agree im 16 so yea and i have all ready had my first bird i have had 4 actually ^_^ i know how to handle birds plus i have taken care of Cockatoos and African grey's before and their bites hurt, i know i can handle it,but it really depends on how long it takes to get them adopted if they have been in my home for a year then most likely i'll adopt them if my parents agree to that.I want to graduate with a degree in Avian Medicine so i thought fostering would be a great way to get to know different species of birds and let them have a better chance at life.

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
Im not adopting them im going to foster them maybe if my parents agree im 16 so yea and i have all ready had my first bird i have had 4 actually ^_^ i know how to handle birds plus i have taken care of Cockatoos and African grey's before and their bites hurt, i know i can handle it,but it really depends on how long it takes to get them adopted if they have been in my home for a year then most likely i'll adopt them if my parents agree to that.I want to graduate with a degree in Avian Medicine so i thought fostering would be a great way to get to know different species of birds and let them have a better chance at life.

Like people said, it may be best to buy one.
I wanted to get a rescue bird too but I did some research and learned that all the rescues here wouldnt even consider me due to my lack of years of experience. I'm glad with my sun tho :)

Most Reactions