Considering GCC question for CAt folks !

Liz

Apr 5, 2011
GTA Ontario
Parrots
Future interest to own
Looking for cat people out there who have brought in a new parrot; we are thinking of a GCC right now. Would love to hear actual experiences on how the cats welcomed and enjoy having a GCC around.

I have looked for this perspective online for a long time, have found some youtubes but the cat with GCC was usually a laid back breed. Our cats have individual personalities and varying athletic (jumping) abilities and varying ages. We are thinking that a GCC would eventually interact really well with cats but uncertain about a possible bad move having unfortunate spiral effect.

Reading about some other parrots and their tendency to not like certain animals or family members, or attacking them, is discouraging. I have the impression that cats would be more afraid of a GCC than visa versa. Obviously we know not to leave a bird and cat in same room (with both unprotected). Anything coming into our lives must respect everyone as part of the family forever sort of attitude. Our cats hang around with us all the time and we love them, we like the idea of the different mindset of a bird and interacting with it and the cats hearing the bird interact with them (probably from a small cage in the room we happen to be in ?)

Thanks !

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I have had a GCC (Rio) for a month now, and I also have 2 cats. One of my cats is a senior citizen, so he doesnt pay a whole lot of attention to the bird. He's also never been much of a hunter (to mice that get in the house), probably the lazy lion type idea letting the females to the work lol. My other cat is a 3 year old female who is VERY interested in the bird. She sits on the couch beside his cage and stares a lot, but when I catch her, I make her get back down. A couple of times Rio has fluttered to the floor when I have him out, and all the other animals (the cats, and two small dogs) all just freeze like they're under attack by the bird.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Also wanted to add that when I was picking my cage, I paid close attention to the bar spacing for both the bird getting out, and keeping kitty paws out!

SmokeNLark

Feb 7, 2011
I've had my sun for a few months. I also have 2 large dogs. They don't bother each other and I think they all like the company. The one dog is actually quite uneasy about her!

Now I know you asked about cats, but I just wanted to say that they can get along. But never leave them unsupervised. And be aware that one, or all, of the cats might see the bird as prey and be prepared to be able to completely separate them when need be when the bird is out. Don't let that discourage you from getting a bird though! :) Just always be cautious and keep everyone supervised.

OP
L

Liz

Apr 5, 2011
GTA Ontario
Parrots
Future interest to own
Well I appreciate the forty ish reads question got, but without a response, perhaps there really are few cats and birds who are friends, the exceptions are on youtube :) which are fun. The tolerance level is not so much fun for us, we want to give a good life to the creatures in our care.

I'll check in once in awhile, see if any new notes from anyone who has heard of cats enjoying being around a parrot in their home.

FeatherFrog

Apr 12, 2011
Wapato,Wa
Parrots
2GCC "Tsume&FireTail"
I have 2 black cats who interact with my 2 GCC very nicely. Sometimes i have to split them up. Because Tsume the older GCC loves to bite. Even tho she has a crooked beak. She still can leave a nasty bite. If, she wanted too.
FireTail the younger one and her baby (Grown baby going on 2yr.) Since his self esteem is up. He also has tried to interact with the cats. I think it;s interesting how two hunters like my cats. Could see my birds as family members. But, tht doesnt mean I trust them 100% with out supervision...hahahaha In that note. It all depends on the animals. Some like each other. Others not so much.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I don't think I would trust my cats with my smaller birds at all. They don't bother the big ones. But they watch every single move my smaller birds does...

samanthabe1

Jan 1, 2011
Arizona
Parrots
Two sun conures Skittles and Buddy.
I have 4 dogs and 3 cats soon to be 4 cats. We keep our two sun conures closed off in the 4th bedroom. No other animals are allowed in there unless it is night time and the birds are in bed covered. We needed to change the door handles though to the round ones before we brought a bird home though because one of the dogs and cats can open the handle doors if they really wanted to.

Most Reactions

Latest posts