cherry is Afraid.????

himansh4u

Apr 13, 2013
i dnt know why cherry keeps on hiding in dark places.
n sometimes he is so afraid of me i dnt knw why he is doing it as he gets older.
from last few days he comes running when he sees food. bt as soon as he feels satisfied he runs away from me to the darkest corner of the room, hide under the sofa or a table.
though he allows me to touch him anywhere, dnt know what happens after the meals.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
How old is cherry?

Parrots are cavity nesters, he's probably found himself a nice "nest". In your place I would remove him and cut off any access to dark places. Hormonal birds aren't really happy, it puts stress on their body and they may be aggressive.

Remember to only pet cherry above the shoulders, only a mate pets below. Don't be sending your bird confusing messages that you want to be their mate when you are unable to follow through.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
How old is cherry?

Parrots are cavity nesters, he's probably found himself a nice "nest". In your place I would remove him and cut off any access to dark places. Hormonal birds aren't really happy, it puts stress on their body and they may be aggressive.

Remember to only pet cherry above the shoulders, only a mate pets below. Don't be sending your bird confusing messages that you want to be their mate when you are unable to follow through.

Cherry is still a baby parrot getting his feathers so i don't think hormones are a worry just yet. ;)

It could be to keep warm or an instinct he would naturally have to hide under mama for warmth and protection. Once his feathers are all in I think he will want to perch more and should be more adventurous. *I'm not an expert though.

Are you planning to keep Cherry as a pet now? I doubt he would do well released into the wilds as he has grown up with you since you rescued him. Will you be getting a cage for him and setting it up?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I agree, if you raised him please don't release him! He is now a imprinted bird. He may survive in the wild if a wild flock lets him join, but the imprinitng will put him at a disadvantage for the first years if his life(if he makes it that far).

OP
H

himansh4u

Apr 13, 2013
@peeker
really dnt know mate. he is too smart that he would surely survive in the wild.
he has already started eating himself and searches for food on the floor.
may be i would wait till he learns to fly and after that its his wish to go back or stay with me.

OP
H

himansh4u

Apr 13, 2013
at what age do they start flying??
and do i have to teach him how to fly or they do it on their own??

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
at what age do they start flying??
and do i have to teach him how to fly or they do it on their own??

I'm not sure what age, most likely once he's fully feathered. In my experience with chicks, they learn it all on their own. You may see him flapping his wings a few times to prepare, but one day they just fly! Try to make the house safe for him so he doesn't hurt himself because they don't know what windows are or wouldn't know to avoid a hot pan or ceiling fan.

Even though he is very smart, he hasn't had the training his mama would have given him on how to forage, find nest spots, avoid dangerous predators and how to be properly social with a flock. He most likely would be eaten if wet loose. If he "chooses" to leave he is so young he wouldn't really know the dangers that could mean.

OP
H

himansh4u

Apr 13, 2013
yes you are right.
may he was meant to be my life long companion then. :)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Young birds stay around their parronts for a long time after leaving the nest. they show them safe and dangerous plants, how to react to predators, and even feeds them still.

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
GuangZhou China - Hong Kong
Parrots
Tango: Alexandrine
Talon: congo african grey
Tango used to always do that when he was about that age...he'd just run right into whatever dark corner he could fit in! Don't worry, he's not afraid of you he's just being a baby bird.

I understand it is illegal in your area, but if you need any motivation to keep cherry as he grows into an adult bird, just stay right on this forum and follow the adventures of Tango, Floyd, Nimbus, Yuki, Alex, Bundii, Prince, Oxy, Bruno and all the other Alex parrots on this forum. Life is definitely more fun with a very green bird hanging around.

OP
H

himansh4u

Apr 13, 2013
yes mr squak . i have seen all of them. and they all are awesum.they all are beautiful birds.
i have got so intersted in them i always chck this forum nt just for alexes butfor other birds too.

Ian

Sep 10, 2012
My female loves boxes...caves...dark places. She normally has a shoebox in the cage to play in.

She will always abandon me if she thinks there's a nice dark spot to explore

I understand its nesting behaviour (which I'm probably not supposed to encourage but it makes her happy)..not sure if young birds do that though..

Most Reactions

Latest posts