Chichi hates my husband...

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
So, hubby always tries to play with chichi and talk to him. And chichi bites him or tries to every time. Hubby gets mad and holds this big ol grudge for a day or so. It's so sad to watch lol. I want the, to get along but chichi is just a butt face. Also hubby cant come near me when i have chichi. He says I've been claimed by a bird. Haha. Any advice on how I can help chichi to like the hubby?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
This is a tough one.

Try to have your husband do the fun stuff with Chichi, while you do the 'unfun' stuff. Fun stuff would be treats, training, playtime, scratches, trips to the outdoors, cuddling. Unfun stuff would be cleaning the cage, vacuuming around it, prepping his food, etc. Basically any chore that is related to Chichi. Have a treat jar close by and have your husband, and only him, hand them out to ChiChi. Try it for a week or two, or more to see if there's any improvements.

I can kind of relate because our Boomer, while not hostile to my partner and is actually very civil, makes it very clear that he'd rather be spending time with me. Its kind of heartbreaking at times because my partner does try.

Just keep at it, and keep us updated.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Chichi view you as his mate so you hubby is a rival and he is trying to run him off it is up to you to show chichi that you are not his mate and that misbehavior towards your hubby is not tolerated, if chichi shows aggression towards your hubby you show in a firm voice say "NO" and put him down and turn your back on him and pay exclusive attention to your hubby for a few seconds (he won't complain about that) you can't really let chichi down easy but you must break off this relationship and show him he is important to your flock but so is your hubby and it's all about access to you and chichi has to understand any aggression towards hubby get him put away or into a time out . You might try letting you hubby rescue chichi you take chichi into the bathroom (close the lid on the toilet) and forget him when you leave when he start to call for you let your hubby find him (He can use one of your wooden spoons to pick him up and spend a few seconds talking to him and soothing him then say " Lets go see mommy" and he will figure out that he is a way to get to you. Others here will give you more ideas.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
my husband used to think my conure was the devil, he was not nice never to my husband, lunging & biting. My husband didnt show interest in him for a long while because of the biting and everytime i encouraged my husband he would say no way that bird is mean.. However when I left for 10 days my husband was his caretaker and he got along well with him after a couple of days of me not being around, but screech does not prefer my husband. Screech will still be mean to my hubby and my boy at times, My husband can get him off the cage sometimes not always, The girls in the house have no issues with the conure he will go to any girl.

My husband calls him a little brat LOL because he says when i was gone he could pick that conure up and the conure had no issues and would be happy and let him scratch his head. The good thing is some form of relationship was formed for the good between them, hubby can feed him treats and change his bowls out and care for the cage. This is not something the conure allowed him to do before.He would charge at him and just want to bite him didn't care if he had a treat.

I don't think its my husband per se I think its males in general since he acts bad with my son to and my son & hubby really like the sun conure but the sun doesnt feel the same LOL

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Welcome to my world..... I just don't mess with the Zon's when the wife is home, if I do, I'm gonna get bit; period. They will still get on me and I have no issues with their cage duties when she ain't around, but it is VERY rare they I can pet them at all. She can do anything she wants with them and they could care less. I got my GW's so it doesn't kill me, but I wish I could mess with the Zon's more than I'm able to.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
What everyone else said...

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
Will be trying all of yalls suggestions. Matt tries so hard to be nice to him...but when he bites he's just like "take this mean bird" lol. I feel bad. But hopefully these things will help. He did rescue him from the bathroom. Hehe. He was so mad I left him tho. :( but Matt was a hero!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
like boomboom said, have your husband do the good stuff like feeding him, while you do the bad stuff like clipping nails. if you clicker train him, you can target him to step up for your husband. good luck :D!

Most Reactions