Chickies :)

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Mr. Boats, that reminds me of our area. "Mountain lions are not in our state" according to the government website that includes photos taken of them in the state on trailcams and thru other means, a number to call to report sightings, and even had a cat shot and killed by a fish and game officer a few years ago. Lmao ok, sure, yup. No mountain lions in the state alright. Not a one. *rolls eyes*

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Oh crap....I just read the rest of this...did Waffle survive??

Last edited:
OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Okie dokie. Waffle's day out today. :) Leader of the pack is first to find the corn. Oddly, she's the smallest of the current flock, just as she was before. Seniority makes all the difference in her attitude.

She's looking much better today with all the mud finally cleaned off the feathers. Took a while since it's been so rainy most of the week. Pretty girl!
66e030bee6cb2c20e0d60ec3f51c3f22.jpg

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh crap....I just read the rest of this...did Waffle survive??
Yes, she did. She's doing quite well, but adjusting to her new position as top of the pecking order. Strange, since she was clearly at the bottom before. Only noticable physical damage is a few small scabs on her comb. She does pace back and forth in the run, definitely looking for her sisters, so on the mental side, she's still not 100%. On the positive side though, she is seeking more attention from us, which is really cute.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Yay Waffle! You look so pretty, glistening in the sun. Heaven bless you, little sweetheart :)

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Today's update...

The new additions seem to be settling in well. Waffle is firmly established as queen of the roost, and lets the others know it. She's definitely the most social of the flock, and runs up to us for attention whenever we go near the pen.

Renita is officially ours now, since the friend she came from is back to her full capacity. Not sure if she's stressed, or affected by the daylight hours or the bitter cold we had last week, but she's stopped laying for about a week now. She's a good girl, but not hand raised like the others, so doesn't actively seek attention as much.

Yin and Yang, or my "house of black and white if you're a Thrones fan," though the largest of the group, are younger and clearly bottom of the pecking order. Yang Green, who I'm now calling "Yangy Doodle" has gifted us with her first egg! I was skeptical of what we were told about the egg color we should expect, but I'll be darned, it's true. It's GREEN! How cool is that?!!!
9347ac64daa36a93934ecb1a16457527.jpg

Hopefully Yin Gully (still looks like a seagull) will be laying soon too. We're told to expect red eggs from her. That would be amazing!

Next episode coming soon...

Last edited:
OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Ooooh, Christmas eggies. :)
Haha, yes with those colors. I'm sure you know, but for those who don't, chickens specifically bred to lay colored eggs are often referred to as "Easter eggers." I'm still shocked it actually happened. Green eggs, who knew?

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh man, Scott stole my joke! Darn you!!

I know about the chickies that lay blue eggs, but never heard of red ones. You wouldn't try to trick a girl about chooks that lay red eggs would ya Jon? WOULD YA???

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh man, Scott stole my joke! Darn you!!

I know about the chickies that lay blue eggs, but never heard of red ones. You wouldn't try to trick a girl about chooks that lay red eggs would ya Jon? WOULD YA???

I would NEVER! Our niece is the one who got them for us. I didn't seriously believe it, but what the heck, we got green ones, right? We'll see about the red ones pretty soon I think :)

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Long overdue update on the chickies. Our pretty white one, Yin, got sick during an extended cold snap over the winter. We brought her inside, and tried EVERYTHING we could, from the antibiotics, to every remedy suggested by local breeder friends. After almost 3 weeks of ups and downs, we lost her. Fortunately, whatever she had didn't affect the rest of the flock.

Shortly after Yin and Yang started laying (and yes, Yin's eggs were pink!) We got two more young golden comets like Waffle, who are now the most consistent layers of them all. And then there were five.

Fast forward to this afternoon... Stopped for some supplies after shopping with our niece, and she came out with a box. The box made noise. Uh oh! Aaaaaannnd, here we go again. Two Americanas, and a golden lace something or another. I tried to say no, but they're so stinking cute! AND, the Americanas are supposed to lay blue eggs! How cool is that?!
e14d144988f115dc125aae47f2007297.jpg
2ec1f7dce26a8f3b22786fe0e197225c.jpg
845a88035f7b1434617990eb12c24cc9.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Old Trojan saying, "Beware of nieces bearing boxes that make a noise!" No way you could've resisted those little cuties, no matter how much you may claim to have "tried"! :D

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
They're so sweet! The golden lace is super comfortable, and just settles right into the palm of my hand. (She's the third picture) Coincidentally, her breed is on the feed bag for the big girls. Here's what she'll look like in a few months:
3c510f3cea66b3f826042351d8196fd4.jpg

She's gonna be gorgeous!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Martha Stewart did a show in her chickens today and gave a tour of her coop. If I had tge energy I would have chickens!

Congratulations on the cute little new girls!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
OMG! I can only imagine Martha Stewart's chicken coop. Probably nicer than my house lol! (Or at least better decorated)

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Just started to read your thread! How heart breaking! I am glad Waffle is doing better and has a new flock. Green and red eggs!? How exciting! Please post photos if you can!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Impossible to refuse a cuteness overload! You'll find ways to incorporate eggs into all three daily meals!

Most Reactions