cleaning parrot

Farhan213

Aug 26, 2013
hi, I have 2.25 month old indian ringneck I wanted to clean him properly. can anyone tell me the best oil for his cleaning.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Hi. You should NOT use any kind of oil (or anything else, like shampoo or soap) to clean your bird. They do not need anything besides plain, clean water to be washed with. Parrots should be bathed at least once a week (more if they really enjoy it) by spritzing them with warm water (think baby bath temperature) in a clean spray bottle that has never contained chemicals (i.e. buy a spray bottle as the bird bottle). Some individuals prefer taking "bird baths" in a shallow pan of water, though I still suggest spritzing as they often don't get themselves completely wet taking a bird bath. I always recommend making baths a positive experience by giving praise during the bath and treats afterwards. Most birds respond favorably to baths though and the bath itself is a fun and rewarding experience (parrots like to be clean). Always make sure it is warm inside when you bathe your bird (until he dries off) and keep him away from any drafts to keep him from catching a chill.

Last edited:
OP
F

Farhan213

Aug 26, 2013
actually 2 days ago I was watching a documentary on national geographic in that documentary a doctor suggest vegetable oil for animals cleaning , I was thinking that I can use vegetable oil for birds cleaning for that reason I post this question.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I can't think of any animal you would clean with oil.

Birds should not be washed with anything but pure water maybe some aloe juice. Stick with pure water.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
As already stated, you should never ever ever! clean a bird with oil of any kind. It would create nothing but problems for your bird.

Only plain, clean water should be used to bathe/clean your bird.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
hi, I have 2.25 month old indian ringneck I wanted to clean him properly. can anyone tell me the best oil for his cleaning.

Let's see....put your bird in the cage then go and bang your head against wall 3 times... Seriously, national geographic said " Animals" referring to mammals...( I seen the program)...NOT BIRDS !

Birds should never have anything but water...That said, you can give a bird flax seed, and fish oil in with their diet once a week to aid in oil gland
for beautiful plumage. Don't put the fish oil on the bird....it goes in their fooooooooood.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Just adding :) Birds, or more noticeably have a natural oil gland, the Uropygial gland in their feathers on their backs they will use by preening in that one area -- on their back -- and then continuing to preen the rest of their feathers.
So don't worry about putting oil on them, they have their own!

It's not the best way to explain it, but thats pretty much what it is.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
When you say clean a bird, can you tell us more about what you mean or he to accomplish? I ask because maybe what you call clean is something different than what most Americans call it or refer to it. To me cleaning a bird could be showering a bird, or wiping food from its beak.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
actually 2 days ago I was watching a documentary on national geographic in that documentary a doctor suggest vegetable oil for animals cleaning , I was thinking that I can use vegetable oil for birds cleaning for that reason I post this question.

NO! NEVER!!!

Just turn on the water, and give him a shower.

OP
F

Farhan213

Aug 26, 2013
what can I say now. well everyone had done their best for the answer very useful answered given by hawk.

Most Reactions

Latest posts