Cleaning Used Cage

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Hello,

So I bought the white cage I had posted here :) Now I'm curious about cleaning it. I have 70% Isopropyl Alcohol that I plan on wiping it down several times with. But what about the two wooden perches inside? There's dried poop on them. Is there a way to clean these that's safe? Or should I throw them out?

I'm hoping to get Jasper next weekend so he'll be in here about a week before his big cage arrives.

Also, is it safe to still wash my floors with Mr. Clean? I live in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Thank you

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
I'd say scrub'em with the rough side of a sponge the best you can, then throw them in the dishwasher. Once all the poop is off, wash them with watered down bleach and leave them out in the sun until all the bleach is baked out.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Actually, alcohol is a better antiseptic than it is a sterilant or disinfectant, but it is better than nothing and your 70% solution is better than the 50%-60% solutions commonly sold, though you can often find 92% solutions if you call around.....

Strange as it may seem, manufacturers of silicone rubber caulks recommend 92% alcohol for prepping surfaces where silicone caulk is to be used, not for its antiseptic abilities, but for its ability to remove oils & residues that might inhibit proper adhesion of the silicone.....

What did the bird(s) that previously used the cage die of.....some pathogens can lie dormant for extended periods and with some, alcohol is little better than rinsing an item with plain water.....but.....that said, I would replace the wooden perches...most of the perches supplied with most cages are too small in diameter for the birds that will be using them...take your thumb and forefinger, touch them together, then open them so you have a semi-circle, with a gap of 3/4 inch, a bird gripping a perch like that would have much better purchase than where its talons meet on the back side or where they just go half-way around.....

Replacing wooden perches is cheap enough, you can find wooden dowels, in oak & softer woods, up to about 1.25 inches in diameter at your local home improvement store, large hardware store or even Michael's carries them.....just be sure to cut to the right length and to notch each end like the original perches.....

Here's an older link on disinfecting...I've got another file that is better at everyday disinfecting, but can't find it right off, but this one hits all the major points:

CDC - Disinfection & Sterilization Guideline:Disinfection - HICPAC

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Just scrub the perches with a solution of bleach and water. Rinse. If they'll fit in the oven, place them in there at 250 degrees for 15 minutes. If not, put them in the dishwasher, no heat dry :)

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
What did the bird(s) that previously used the cage die of

I've always wondered about that:11:. I was looking for a used cage to replace Sassy's as hers is pretty old.

I would replace the wooden perches. They are cheap to replace and better safe than sorry.;)

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Thank you all. I don't know what the bird died of. The woman I bought the cage from could barely speak English :S

Most Reactions