Cockatiel gender

angels123

Oct 18, 2014
Media
toledo oh
Parrots
crimson bellied conure 3 yrs old
black capped conure 4 months old
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what gender my cockatiel is. His tail feathers are coming in dark and his brown face is turning yellow, but he doesn't whistle

Attachments

• 20230713_075617.jpg
    20230713_075617.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 34

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what gender my cockatiel is. His tail feathers are coming in dark and his brown face is turning yellow, but he doesn't whistle
How old is your bird? The best indicator of gender with a cockatiel is to look at the underside of the tail feathers, as a male will have solid colour there whereas a female's tail feathers will always retain a rippled/stippled effect of colour on the underside, generally with yellow in it. So if your 'tiel has already been through their first big moult, which generally happens somewhere around the 8 or 9 month old mark, it's highly likely your bird is male. And a handsome fellow too, btw :)

OP
A

angels123

Oct 18, 2014
Media
toledo oh
Parrots
How old is your bird? The best indicator of gender with a cockatiel is to look at the underside of the tail feathers, as a male will have solid colour there whereas a female's tail feathers will always retain a rippled/stippled effect of colour on the underside, generally with yellow in it. So if your 'tiel has already been through their first big moult, which generally happens somewhere around the 8 or 9 month old mark, it's highly likely your bird is male. And a handsome fellow too, btw :)
It is 11 months old the tail feathers have cone in dark but why doesn't he whistle?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It could be several factors as to him being a bit quiet. I have two male 'tiels, one is VERY vocal and the other is much more quiet by comparison. Your 'tiel may have been taken from his parents before he had a chance to learn, or maybe he is just a bit more shy and reserved by nature. You can help by whistling tunes for him - my 'tiel Fang is relatively quiet but he LOVES whistling show tunes that I've taught him, and both my 'tiels go crazy whistling back if I play them videos from YouTube, not just of other 'tiels but pretty much any parrot species. Start with simple sounds that he can master quickly - it may take some time but I think you'll find he will find his voice eventually :)

OP
A

angels123

Oct 18, 2014
Media
toledo oh
Parrots
It could be several factors as to him being a bit quiet. I have two male 'tiels, one is VERY vocal and the other is much more quiet by comparison. Your 'tiel may have been taken from his parents before he had a chance to learn, or maybe he is just a bit more shy and reserved by nature. You can help by whistling tunes for him - my 'tiel Fang is relatively quiet but he LOVES whistling show tunes that I've taught him, and both my 'tiels go crazy whistling back if I play them videos from YouTube, not just of other 'tiels but pretty much any parrot species. Start with simple sounds that he can master quickly - it may take some time but I think you'll find he will find his voice eventually :)
My other tiel that I believe is a male is very vocal and I can tell he's trying to whistle. As far as me whistling, the only think that comes out is air, I can't whistle. 🤣

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
My other tiel that I believe is a male is very vocal and I can tell he's trying to whistle. As far as me whistling, the only think that comes out is air, I can't whistle. 🤣
In that case, YouTube is your friend! Here are some of my Fang's greatest hits to get you started!

And one of my budgie Val, my 'tiels ALWAYS love whistling back at him!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
In that case, YouTube is your friend! Here are some of my Fang's greatest hits to get you started!

And one of my budgie Val, my 'tiels ALWAYS love whistling back at him!

I don't know about taking a male cockatiel away from parents preventing learning to whistle. I had a hand fed baby male tiel that became a great whistler quickly without having any contact with other tiels at all after I got him. I don't whistle but my husband did and taught him all sorts of tunes. You couldn't shut him up! (The bird not the husband.) Maybe some are just quieter?

Most Reactions