Cockatiel nail

G12sbmx

Dec 17, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hey there! My cockatiel had an accident in the cage when i was missing and i found his nail clipped off with some dry blood on the end! I searched the cage for blood stains but couldnā€™t find any sigh of blood anywhere. He still plays and eat normally, its just his foot, sometimes he canā€™t step well but sometimes he walks normally! Should i visit the vet? How could i clean his nail so he doesnā€™t get an infection? I will post a pic of his nail! What should i do to make him feel better? Thanks for reading šŸ™šŸ¼

Attachments

• A1D9AA77-A3C1-4AFE-A449-DCDCCC094621.jpeg
    A1D9AA77-A3C1-4AFE-A449-DCDCCC094621.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 37

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I never say no to an AVN visit.

But I have to say its probably going to be fine. I've seen birds on youtube with entire toes missing and they get along ok. But I really really really think you should see an AVN.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hey there! My cockatiel had an accident in the cage when i was missing and i found his nail clipped off with some dry blood on the end! I searched the cage for blood stains but couldnā€™t find any sigh of blood anywhere. He still plays and eat normally, its just his foot, sometimes he canā€™t step well but sometimes he walks normally! Should i visit the vet? How could i clean his nail so he doesnā€™t get an infection? I will post a pic of his nail! What should i do to make him feel better? Thanks for reading šŸ™šŸ¼
OUCH! I would take him to an avian vet to be sure and also to have that super long nail on his foot trimmed. Don't try it yourself or you could hurt him and make him bleed. It's a fast procedure and doesn't hurt if it's done right.

Most Reactions