Cockatiel one eye closed

Cockatielmom18

Sep 23, 2018
Parrots
Pearl (cockatiel)
Kid and Jeordi (budgies)
Kitty, Leia, Chips, Sico, Ginger, (<- RIP), Terrelli, Popularis, Ace, Whiteout, Cetoides, Ada, Lucasi, Oryx, and Tom (chickens)
Pearl, almost since I got her, has had one eye closed or half closed, but always less open than the other. It isn't very red as far as I can see, and it's not puffy very much either. She hasn't been scratching it and it doesn't seem to bother her. Unfortunately, there are no local avian vets that my parents are willing to go to (Murfreesboro TN).

Last edited:

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
It sounds like it might be a respiratory problem or an eye problem. Birds do hide illnesses very well, and they don't just get better by themselves. They're not like us humans where we get a cold and get over it - they're avians and their respiratory system is most of their body (just look up how many air sacs they have!). And losing eye sight in one eye - well, imagine how it would be for a human, let alone an animal that has the range of vision they do.

Looks like you've a few avian vets near you:

Michael Lutz
West Meade Veterinary Clinic
990 Davidson Drive
Nashville, TN 37205
(615) 356-1152

Brandon Dixon
Volunteer Veterinary Clinic, Inc
PO Box 400
Hendersonville, TN 37077
(615) 824-8411

Russell E. Anderson
Fairview Animal Clinic
1597 Fairview Blvd
Fairview, TN 37062
(615) 799-2118
http://fairviewanimal.com

In fact, if you just google the first one, there are so many raving reviews about how good he is with parrots.

Ultimately, it's your and your parents' choice if you're comfortable leaving Pearl in this state or not.

Most Reactions

Latest posts