Perplexed

TLee

Jun 11, 2023
Parrots
1 adolescent parrotlet
I have a new parrotlett I think just in or nearing adolescence. It won't come to me in the cage but if it comes out and flutters to the floor it would at first come and step up on my finger and stay with me for awhile before fluttering off again to the floor and just seemed to want to explore. Sometimes willing to come and step on my finger and sometimes not. Does not bite. Just sometimes friendly and sometimes moves away.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

How old is your parrotlet?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
It took my friend over a year to get her parrotlet to let her handle him, and he still only steps up when he wants to. He does now take treats from new people though, and sat on my shoulder for the first time last week after I’d been visiting for two months!

Parrotlets can be very cautious, and they like to explore!

OP
T

TLee

Jun 11, 2023
Parrots
1 adolescent parrotlet
Welcome to the forums!

I am not exactly sure. When I bought her I was told she (or he) was approaching adolescence. She is not able to fly yet and I understand about half the size she will get to.
It took my friend over a year to get her parrotlet to let her handle him, and he still only steps up when he wants to. He does now take treats from new people though, and sat on my shoulder for the first time last week after I’d been visiting for two months!

Oh that is very disheartening. I'm not sure I am that patient. I had a parakeet who was extremely friendly and bonded. She would fly to the ground in front of my and climb up my leg to me and beg to step up to my finger. loved to sit on my shoulder. I miss that kind of interaction. A year? Oh my.

OP
T

TLee

Jun 11, 2023
Parrots
1 adolescent parrotlet
Welcome to the forums!

I am not exactly sure. When I bought her I was told she (or he) was approaching adolescence. She is not able to fly yet and I understand about half the size she will get to.

Oh that is very disheartening. I'm not sure I am that patient. I had a parakeet who was extremely friendly and bonded. She would fly to the ground in front of my and climb up my leg to me and beg to step up to my finger. loved to sit on my shoulder. I miss that kind of interaction. A year? Oh my.

OP
T

TLee

Jun 11, 2023
Parrots
1 adolescent parrotlet

She is in a large spherical cage. I heard someone say that parrots have to have cages with corners. Do I need to get a different cage?

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I had an Amazon given to me in a circular cage who when stressed would climb the bars in endless circles.

Also, in the long run a year is not so long to build a strong bond with your friend who will hopefully be with you for many, many years.
It'll probably take you less time though...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah, they kinda need a cage with corners. Helps enormously psychologically, and you dont want an unbalanced parrot, trust us.

Most Reactions