Cockatiel with soft chirp. Possibly sick (?)

Zukarin

Jan 20, 2021
Parrots
Hebe - Cockatiel
Iā€™ve been worried about my cockatiel for a little while now. She was doing this growl sort of thing for a couple weeks, but I think that was my fault for giving mixed messages on if it get her what she wants or not. Tuesday, though, I did spent a few hours in a different room, and, when I found her, her chirp was off, she had polyuria, she was weak, it looked like she may have issues with breathing, and it looked like her wings were possibly drooping. I put her in some heat and she got better.
The next day, we took her to a vet. The vet said the same thing as a week before: she was just scared of me and being defensive(she was climbing towards me though, why would be scared of me and walking towards me??) I could have possibly agreed with the vet if Hebe didnā€™t have polyuria, weight loss, and weakness, but the vet ignored that when I brought it up. (Iā€™m never going to that vet again) The vet said sheā€™d take an X-ray or study the poop in the cage, but the X-ray machine was broken and there wasnā€™t enough poop.
Today, sheā€™s just acting mild-mannered and soft-spoken. Her crest is usually up, and she pecked at me for the first time in weeks. Sheā€™s like a different bird suddenly. When she chirps, it sounds much softer than before, and it worried me.
Could it be behavior, or is there something that needs to be seen by a new vet?
(Ordinarily, I would want to take her straight to the vet, but my mom, who pays, has already paid $60 in vet bills for Hebe alone among all the animals we have)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so sorry you are going through this.
I'd say trust your gut. Weight loss wing drooping trouble breathing and watery poop abd seemingly week. I would seek a new veterinarian, for a second opinion for sure.

Most Reactions