Cockatoo Lover :D

Cockatoo

Dec 2, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Angel, Umbrella Cockatoo
Tiki, Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
Cookie, Bare-Eyed Cockatoo
Hey there! I'm new to the site, but I'm no stranger to birds, ahahahaha!
I've had over 30 large birds in my short 16 years, and I've also had smaller breeding pairs, like 'tiels, lovebirds, quakers, ect.
My current babies are Angel, a 32 year old rescued Umbrella 'too. I've had her for about 2 months now, and she is loving her new life. (If I'd spent 2 years locked in a broom closet with a roach infested cage, I'd be ecstatic to have a new home, too!) Fortunately, she was raised so well by her owner before the broom closet people, that she never bites or shows any signs of aggression. She says one word, Hello (gets annoying after about 30 repititions, though), and is a joy to have around.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my 3 year old Sulfur crested, and is quite possibly the happiest bird I've ever come across. She finds joy in the smallest things, like the zipper on my jacket, and she's a great little baby.

Cookie is the serious one, never taking risks. She's a two year old Bare-Eyed, very affectionate, but reserved around strangers.

And there's my managerie, ahaha! The birds share quarters with 3 Chow Chows, and love "their" dogs to bits. :white1:

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Hi, welcome to the forum! I'm only 3 years younger than you and I applaud you, I don't think I would be able to take in that many toos! :D I guess you're a too person, I stick to the small birds. :p Looking forward to seeing pics. :)

Is Rikki-Tikki-Tavi from that mongoose story? :D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Maybe she fostered them until they where placed in new homes?

That's so sad about the umbrella too, I can't believe someone would lock a bird in a closet yet I hear about it happening again and again.

OP
Cockatoo

Cockatoo

Dec 2, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Angel, Umbrella Cockatoo
Thank you all for the warm welcome :D You were wondering about the other birds?
Well, it's kinda personal, but I'm a foster kid, and I used to live with my Grandmother, who owned the birds, but I was the main caretaker, as she was drunk most of the time.
I was taken away from her, by CPS, and the birds were sold (I assume) I managed to track down Tikki, and Cookie, but the others whereabouts were unknown.

(Yes, Tikki was named after the mongoose, due to her feisty personality, lol)

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I'm glad you were able to track down Tikki and Cookie. We are practically neighbors---I'm in Maryland. : )

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
aww that's so sad :( I'm glad you where able to track down two of the birds, when you found them were they excited to see you?

OP
Cockatoo

Cockatoo

Dec 2, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Angel, Umbrella Cockatoo
Oh my gosh, yes! Tikki danced around and cuddled and the store owner said she'd never seen the bird so happy. Cookie was a little less exuberant, probably because she was always the calm one, ahahaha

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
Welcome there! :) conurecrazy and cockatoo - you guys are making me feel old :'(
Sorry to hear you had to go through such an ordeal at such a young age, but absolutely delighted you tracked down the birds!!!

All the best to you and looking forward to seeing some pictures of the toos!! :)

OP
Cockatoo

Cockatoo

Dec 2, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Angel, Umbrella Cockatoo
I actually have a video of the rescue too, Angel. I'll see if I can post it :D

bkparrot

Nov 13, 2012
Media
Brooklyn, NY
look forward to the video. I am still trying to figure out the video and photos and uploading them. I was able to upload some photos to my album but not sure if they can be viewed.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Welcome there! :) conurecrazy and cockatoo - you guys are making me feel old :'(
:)
LOL I'm just glad you think that kids can own birds.:p A lot of people think we can't learn anything and we just go around doing illegal crimes. :20: :eek: lol. :eek:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Oh my gosh, yes! Tikki danced around and cuddled and the store owner said she'd never seen the bird so happy. Cookie was a little less exuberant, probably because she was always the calm one, ahahaha
That's awesome, it's amazing you were able to find them again.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Welcome and a big CONGRATS on relocating some of your pets. Im sure they give you a sense of home, and good job taking care of them when your Grandmother was unable to. You seem like a mature, responsible young adult despite what you have been through.

OP
Cockatoo

Cockatoo

Dec 2, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Angel, Umbrella Cockatoo
Welcome and a big CONGRATS on relocating some of your pets. Im sure they give you a sense of home, and good job taking care of them when your Grandmother was unable to. You seem like a mature, responsible young adult despite what you have been through.
Thank you, it means a lot to me to be thought of as mature :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts