Cockatoo never wants to be in the cage

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Hi Scott,
Is striker the clapper (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell)? I am getting him this bell: shorturl.at/EIMR4 which I hope he cannot reach the interior.

This 5th morning with him was the hardest, I can no longer trick him with food or his treats to get into the cage in the morning to leave for work (I was late badly for a meeting). Even he was hungry from the evening he didn't care.
The only thing that worked today was a water cup with a metal straw (made for rabbit/hamsters to not to chew) that he hates so much he runs after it like there is no tomorrow. I put that in the cage through the bars and tricked him that it is inside. He rushed into to kill it and I was able to close the door and lock it...

Last night he was so happy when my friends came over for my birthday - he even started singing like our cockatiel (when did he learn to make cockatiel songs that just sounds like our cockatiel? :). But otherwise I think he is very sad in the cage during the whole day :(
I think I have to investigate sanctuary options and figure out a good forever home for him to be happy.

Sanctuary is really not a good option as that only last resort. You have to learn how to work with him and train him. Cockatoo in general will try to outsmart you have to learn how to target train and teach him no means no. A lot more complex to bond with and train a Cockatoo, reason why I don't recommend them to most. You already adopted him, learn how to deal with him and work with him, don't just give up on him due to he doesn't want to go in cage? Overcome the issue, he get use to it in time. Just make sure you give him a few hours out of cage time when you are at home and socialize him to other people as well.

The only time I recommend re-homing, or giving a bird to a Sanctuary if you absolutely cannot no longer care for him as you have zero time, or a extreme circumstance? Re-homing a cockatoo is never good as they get even more depress and start to have behavior issues. He let you handle him and even sings and plays. He just doesn't like the cage and that normal as it is a new environment and take birds a while to adapt, especially a cockatoo. A Cockatoo pretty much the Einstein of birds and know how to manipulate/outsmart you enough to get what they want that pretty normal for them. The other option is you can get him a 6 foot cage which is what I did for my pair as they hate being in small cage, but love the big cage as keep the door open and half the time they stay in, or go back in on their own when tried.

Other trick you can do is put cage in room you at, so he see you and is more comfortable and leave door open, so he can go in and out and explore it. You sure also put his favorite treats in it. Also learn to not to respond to screaming, or biting, the more you respond to it, the more they will use it to get a reaction, or get you to give in. Cockatoo are ridiculously smart and will use any means they can to get what they want and get into trouble and normal training you do for most birds will not work. Plus Cockatoos need 3 to 4 hours a day of out of cage time. Hence I bring mines everywhere pretty much and rides on my shoulder and is free flight trained. Never have to really use a carrier.

Last edited:
OP
C

chocobyted

Jan 12, 2020
Parrots
New parent to an umbrella cockatoo & 2 cockatiels.
Thanks Scott, the only reason I am considering sanctuary (and not rehoming) is I think he will probably be happier with his own kind than me putting him in the cage in the morning and playing at night time for a very limited time (I work far from where I live so long drive, zero time is almost true but I am trying to deal with it). There is also no one else in the home than me (and our cockatiel) so I am probably not enough.
He is such a smart and cute bird that I don't want his life wasting in a cage but I don't have a house with a garden to give him a better option either - breaks my heart.
I trained other birds before but not this size and smartness (cockatiels & budgies), he is so smart that I don't think it is achievable with the hours in the day I am home with him. :(

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Thanks Scott, the only reason I am considering sanctuary (and not rehoming) is I think he will probably be happier with his own kind than me putting him in the cage in the morning and playing at night time for a very limited time (I work far from where I live so long drive, zero time is almost true but I am trying to deal with it). There is also no one else in the home than me (and our cockatiel) so I am probably not enough.
He is such a smart and cute bird that I don't want his life wasting in a cage but I don't have a house with a garden to give him a better option either - breaks my heart.
I trained other birds before but not this size and smartness (cockatiels & budgies), he is so smart that I don't think it is achievable with the hours in the day I am home with him. :(

If you decide to re-home him, or give to a sanctuary, find someone that dealt with a cockatoo as they are not like most birds and complex to train and keep happy and has a large enough space to keep him happy. Also re-home him quick, so he don't get to attached to you, as they take it hard as well. Look up the sanctuary before giving him up to them, as you have bad ones that we refer to as bird hoarders, or flippers. Look for one that well known and has a full staff including medical. I work with several over the years and wildlife sanctuary with raptors and etc. If you put your state in, someone that knows that area can refer you to a good one. Plenty of knowledgeable members on here.

Last edited:

Melscamp

Oct 31, 2019
NY
Parrots
Hunny Bunny Munny Sunny & Roger the parakeets
I do feel that I could be scared into keeping them in the cage indefinitely. Of course I took measures to make it safe as anyone should. A bird stuck in a cage all day seems sad especially if it wants to be out.

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
Cockatoos are toddlers with power tools and a foghorn. He is or has already figured out that if he has a tantrum, he stays out of the cage longer. If he sees that it's upsetting you, that's a bonus. So ... don't let him see or suspect that you're frustrated or upset. Be very matter of fact. Consciously control your breathing and heart rate and keep calm no matter WHAT. I almost never take my Rocky out in the morning before I go to work. Then I don't have to try to get him back in. He's already in the cage from spending the night there and there he stays until one of us gets home from work. However, in nearly five years together, we've developed a routine for going back into the cage. With him on my arm, I swing his door as wide as it goes (so he can't grab it, LOL) and put him and my arm quickly inside, tipping him a little so he has to grab the cage for balance, and sliding my arm out and the door shut. But that's only if he's being stubborn. He knows the drill. He knows I'm only putting him in because I'm leaving and by now, it's usually not an argument. He cooperates and I shut him in and go to work. Just approach this as if you're trying to reason with a 2-year-old and be firm and calm and offer no other option.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
I do feel that I could be scared into keeping them in the cage indefinitely. Of course I took measures to make it safe as anyone should. A bird stuck in a cage all day seems sad especially if it wants to be out.
They need a lot of time out of the cage and sure never be kept in a cage all day, or really any bird. They are way to social and smart and like toddlers in many ways. Reason why when I at home they stay out pretty much and yes they go with me pretty much everywhere to stores even and let them outside during the summer and winter when not as cold to play and fly around.

Last edited:
OP
C

chocobyted

Jan 12, 2020
Parrots
Thank you all for the support!
He was being a cute cockatoo tonight again, attaching pics. I just received a cockatoo toy for him and he seems to like it. I gave him walnuts and his toy which got him into the cage for the first time at night (he was always sleeping outside since it is so hard to get him twice in a day in the cage). Maybe trying to make him go to the cage at night and leave it during the day makes more sense - otherwise I am late for work if he resists.

I didn't think sanctuaries would be bird flippers or the hoarders but I have seen the hoarder stuff in the news, there are way too many flippers on the FB groups as well that I don't trust the rehoming :( worst one is people who have no idea looking after birds getting these birds and causing them to die (cleaning products, cooking with birds, and wondering why it suddenly died on FB, just so sad).

I had been looking at this one https://cockatoosanctuary.net/ but it sounds like you never get to see the bird again. If anyone is familiar or has an experience with it, it would greatly help. I live in Northern California if anyone knows a good place :( I want to start investigating further - I don't want him to go through feather plucking or any other unhealthy cycles so if I am not enough I want to find the next option for him to make him stay a happy bird.

Attachments

• IMG_20200116_204933.jpg
    IMG_20200116_204933.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20200116_204629.jpg
    IMG_20200116_204629.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20200116_201639.jpg
    IMG_20200116_201639.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200116_202200.jpg
    IMG_20200116_202200.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 79

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
I didn't think sanctuaries would be bird flippers or the hoarders but I have seen the hoarder stuff in the news, there are way too many flippers on the FB groups as well that I don't trust the rehoming :( worst one is people who have no idea looking after birds getting these birds and causing them to die (cleaning products, cooking with birds, and wondering why it suddenly died on FB, just so sad).

You would hope that all sanctuaries would not be bird flippers or the hoarders, but unfortunately is rarely the case. I seen and had to walk away from some bad ones over the years. It a well known fact that some start sanctuaries to get around loopholes and to get free birds unfortunately. Plus the fact sellers know that people hate mills & pet flippers and have a bad reputation due to the mills that were expose over the years. So a few Rescues/Sanctuaries are pretty much the modern day flippers. Don’t get me wrong, there are many genuine wildlife sanctuaries around the world that are doing fantastic work and well funded, but a lot that are not. You can even see that on this very forum people try to adopt and turn down due to ridiculous rule set in place and some being well qualified candidate that have experience, or bird cost more then getting a baby from a private breeder? The issue is pretty much anyone can start a Rescue, or a Sanctuaries and not well regulated? AVOID any self-proclaimed animal, or most bird private "Rescues/Sanctuary".

Does the facility claim to support conservation programs? Look on that project’s website and see if the facility is acknowledged. Look who funding the facility and how they acquire there animals?

Look at the facility and AVOID any that uses temporary foster home program, they are usually bird flippers in most cases. They do this so they don't have to pay people and get around tax loopholes and etc. So they claim to be non-profit. It pretty much a giant loophole in tax law. Plus it is a good way to get free birds and to take advantage of people that care for these animals and vets and get free labor pretty much.

Then you have those that uses fosters and don't have a problem with the foster themselves as they are victims of the scam as well. The bird Rescue/sanctuary that pretend to house birds at facility, some will even show you a nice facility with birds, good enrichment, but then ends up letting the bird stay with someone to care for the bird as it free labor for them and owner takes advantage of people and then wait to find what they claim to be suitable home, but in reality resell the bird to highest bidder as going to be blunt about it . We had a few shutdown in my area alone. One lady that work at animal control that own a private Sanctuary that let the bird in great neglect and won't allow anyone to help?

Then you have the hoarders that make it quite difficult to adopt birds out and re-home to a forever home, even to a well qualified, even experience candidate as the facility set the rules and no standards set in place. So one place may not adopt to someone 40 years or older, another may not adopt unless you volunteer at the facility for a period of 6 months.

The sad thing about this is the birds/animals, as not just birds long term suffer when owners/partners/board run out of funding, or owner passes away and birds are in worst situation then where they were rescued from? You have to remember these larger birds can live 60 years plus. Yes I have some horror stories over the years with pictures of some bad ones I dealt with unfortunately. Yes there are some very good Rescue/sanctuary that are well backed and well funded and do fantastic work.

Most important as don't want to come off as negative, but worked at since young for various Rescue/sanctuaries and private breeders and seen the bad and good. You have to do your homework and look into the facility your planning on giving your bird up to, specifically since you want a better life for him. Honestly your Cockatoo is behaving quite normally and don't seem to have behavior issues, or a distrust for people. He be better off in a forever home with a family then a Sanctuary, since he likely use to that. Yes I don't think any Cockatoos, or most species of parrot sure have ever been bought into captivity to begin with and sure have been left in the wild to thrive, but unfortunately they were and we just have to be responsible and adopt the birds that need a good home, not support the pet trade and give the animal the best quality of life possible in that situation with the card they were dealt.

https://www.sanctuaryfederation.org/find-a-sanctuary/

Here a good article

https://www.peta.org/features/real-animal-sanctuary-zoo/

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Don't even get me started with FB groups. The worst of the worst I dealt with on those groups and marketplace. Best way to filter out flippers and hoarders is to charge a high price for your bird your re-homing, pretty much going rate and visit the person, or family home and make sure it suitable for the bird.

Avoid anyone that come with a sad story about lack of funding, but they can provide a good home? 99% are scammers looking to flip the bird in my experience. Plus if they can't afford to pay for the bird, then they won't have the funds to care for the bird properly and give it proper enrichment. As Vet bills alone can be thousands in a year.

OP
C

chocobyted

Jan 12, 2020
Parrots
Thank you very much ParrotGenie and Scott for the helpful links. It is so sad to see how some people are exploiting these beautiful animals - that is why if I need to find a sanctuary I will do my part and keep investigating.

Scott, do you have anything in mind for other alternatives? I am afraid with my schedule/long commute to get home he might not be happy in the long term and I want to think long-term because they live long - otherwise he is such a beautiful smart bird and I really wish there was another way. I live on my own in Silicon Valley/Bay area - anyone I know can't be less in interested in birds or let alone anything else living to take care of them (tech people, even cooking or driving is not a part of their daily routine). So I can't think of anyone around here, even though I know many people, to take him in or help me take care of it, sad story short :(

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

A question way out of the box, depending on your type of work. Are you in an environment where you could bring him one or more days per week? Far fetched, but some workplaces are rather creative.

OP
C

chocobyted

Jan 12, 2020
Parrots
Your question is not far-fetched, Scott, some companies here allow policies that would be very surprising elsewhere.
They allow dogs (no cats) to a certain extend (calm, no barking) and allowed me to bring my cockatiel in for a day when she had to go to a vet on the other side of the city. However next time I brought in the same cockatiel was a security sweep of "find the bird" since she was chirping to me when I was at meetings - they couldn't find her next to my desk but my teammates came to tell me the security is looking for a bird because her chirping was echoing in the office... A cockatoo in the same state would be similar to a fire alarm I think, if noisy they don't allow the pet :(

OP
C

chocobyted

Jan 12, 2020
Parrots
Thanks Scott, yea only if the cockatoos didn't have the foghorn :) At this point in time I think it is a remaining part of their dinosaur roar from back then...

He is getting better with the cage (or is it my imagination?) though everyday I need to trick him with something else to get in.

I tried to reach out to the Cockatoo Sanctuary but it is very hard to get a hold of anyone as they are busy with the rest of the cockatoos at hand. In the meanwhile I made a play box with toys and his blanket - luckily he seems to spend most of his time in that box now to leave me to work over the weekend (I work on weekends as well but from home, there is no end).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Another possible sanctuary to consider is Free Flight Sanctuary located in Del Mar, CA. (A bit north of San Diego) I've visited several times and they have many parrots on exhibit as goodwill ambassadors, as well as an interior portion for shy birds. Birds appear happy and well cared for, but I am unaware of the internal workings and policies. https://www.freeflightbirds.org/about-free-flight

OP
C

chocobyted

Jan 12, 2020
Parrots
Thanks for the suggestion, Scott. I came across their website that seem to be well documented on what they are doing. I wasn't sure still given the "park" nature with the visitors but it might be a better set up than some "sanctuaries" that seem to be hoarding or flipping birds, it is just unbelievable :(
I got a hold of Lori from the Cockatoo Sanctuary finally today. She seems to be very familiar with looking after cockatoos and also she is a vet - their website didn't mention much about her but I wanted to understand how they handle any health issues with that many cockatoos in one place. It costs $1500 to send an umbrella which is what I am going to work at next.

Btw if anyone is wondering the Aviator bird harness (M) size doesn't really work for umbrella cockatoos. The head section is smaller than the head of my umbrella cockatoo, there is no way in the world to push it through his head without hurting him (he won't let me do it anyways. So our outdoor trips is a no-go.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Btw if anyone is wondering the Aviator bird harness (M) size doesn't really work for umbrella cockatoos. The head section is smaller than the head of my umbrella cockatoo, there is no way in the world to push it through his head without hurting him (he won't let me do it anyways. So our outdoor trips is a no-go.

I when a size larger L as M is to small for my female which is almost as large as a Moluccan cockatoo she use to play with. My male umbrella fit the Medium fine. Yes the Large will likely fit fine. As far as harness training, you have to use larger loop to get you bird use to looping it around head and reward a few times. larger loop make it easy to remove off head till he allows it on him and avoids tangles. After a while he allow it, then move to using the smaller head loop. It took my female 2 days as at first she would try to pretend she was going to bite and hiss at me, I called her bluff and took the lighter bite and didn't react to it and after 2 days she actually help me put it on and started lifting her wings to loop it under and etc. As she realized it meant going outside. If you bird completely fear it, leave it out so they can see it for a couple of days and let them step on it and play with it. Yes they will try to pick at it once it on them, just take them outside and likely he will forget it even on him. It take them a day once they start wearing it to get use to it. With my female never used it as she free flight trained, but when to plant store to look at some plants to buy and she decide to get herself into trouble flys off, toss to ground a plant and rip it apart for some reason? She usually well behaved and stays on my shoulder when in public and ask me by coming down to arm lifting wings half way and looking at me before flying off. Thankfully owner know me and the birds and has a sulphur crested cockatoo. Since then she wears the harness when in public.

Yep and vet bills can be expensive. Usually with that many birds they have a vet on staff, or on call and likely insured. With me I pay a 3rd of what a normal person that walks in would pay as refer them to a lot of breeders and smaller rescues in the area, plus friends with a couple of them. Plus with some vet they will work with you and can set up a payment plan if they know you well.

Last edited:
OP
C

chocobyted

Jan 12, 2020
Parrots
ParrotGenie, you truly know how to train your cockatoos well. It is great to hear the Aviator harness worked well for you.

Maybe my expectations are too high for the new cockatoo to listen and do well (he is trying his best for sure still). My cockatiel is so well trained, 4 years with me since she was a weaned baby, and never taught her to bite so I get caught off guard when the cockatoo is not like that.
I forget now that even the cockatiel felt like someone pressed the reset button when I moved from Canada and I had another cockatiel I trained like that and bought the new one here (my parents kept my Canadian cockatiel, and now he is an untrained, spoiled wild cockatiel that loves to facetime with me but that is another story :)).

I think there is hope but the cockatoos are so smart and attentive, they see through tricks to not fall for it again if it is something they don't like (like the cage!). I am closing the cage door more slowly now and pet his head when he goes into eat at the end of the day during sunset (finally!).

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
ParrotGenie, you truly know how to train your cockatoos well. It is great to hear the Aviator harness worked well for you.

Maybe my expectations are too high for the new cockatoo to listen and do well (he is trying his best for sure still). My cockatiel is so well trained, 4 years with me since she was a weaned baby, and never taught her to bite so I get caught off guard when the cockatoo is not like that.
I forget now that even the cockatiel felt like someone pressed the reset button when I moved from Canada and I had another cockatiel I trained like that and bought the new one here (my parents kept my Canadian cockatiel, and now he is an untrained, spoiled wild cockatiel that loves to facetime with me but that is another story :)).

I think there is hope but the cockatoos are so smart and attentive, they see through tricks to not fall for it again if it is something they don't like (like the cage!). I am closing the cage door more slowly now and pet his head when he goes into eat at the end of the day during sunset (finally!).

I have 5 cockatiels 3 I rescued as breeders was going to have one put down due to a crop infection and vet told him it was cancer as he had a large lump by his crop. Thankfully he gave him up to a lady friend I know rather then put him down and she rushed him to me and was able to resolved the crop infection lump when away and hand feed him till he was fully weaned now he over a year old healthy. My female Wylie had a upper respiratory infection and she was breathing hard and her nares were swollen and lady that own her didn't want to pay to have her taken to the vet. So I took her and did and now she live practically on my shoulder as my Baby U2 does as well. She also free flight and harness trained. Cockatiels are my favorite species of birds as grow up with cockatiels since small and how I learned to train and deal with birds I use to work with a breeder and at a rescue and breed and raise them when younger. My first one lived over 20 years and pretty my grew up with me during college days and etc.

Cockatoos are pretty much bigger complex versions of a cockatiel. Yes cockatoos are way more aggressive and more destructive due to larger size, but have as great of a personality as a cockatiel and will bond to you strongly in time. They do adapt well, if they think that by biting, or not listening they get what they want, they will take advantage of the situation, reason why they are harder to train as they will try to outsmart you. Baby my female U2 was my first Cockatoo and she was the hardest bird I had to train to date and I trained 100's of bird including larger Maccaws and various raptors and hawks. I took her on as she won't let anyone near her and would bite anyone that came near her, they would have to use large broom sticks to move her from cage to playstand. So I walk up to her one day despite the danger warning from everyone go at your own risk pretty much, put my arm out and she step up without biting and since then would climb down off play stand she was on during the day and look for me. After that I had to adopt her and did. It took me over a year to work out her behavior issues and to socialize her. Yes I was bitten a few times during the process, including she got me ear pretty good early on, my fault as I know better not to trust a new bird on my shoulder and didn't take my own advise. Now she one of my best companion birds and I take her pretty much everywhere I go rides on my shoulder and almost anyone can handle her without fear of getting bitten. She also mated to my rescue male named Copper also a U2 I took in over a year ago, which I was surprised but she accepted his mating request first time she meet him.

Originally was going to adopt a male African grey before I meet Baby that I was was training that was at my friends wildlife sanctuary and not even planning on getting a cockatoo, but Baby my female U2 picked me, so she gave me no choice in the matter.

Some birds when it come to harness training can take longer, usually showing it to them and doing steps above as stated earlier usually work. Just give it time and don't give up, he will come around. Cockatoos don't accept target training very easy and will learn what your trying to do and try to outsmart you, they are highly intelligent and you have to learn how to call bluffs read body language and work around it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts