Coconut is so easy to train!!

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Today I tried to teaching Coconut to come to me when I say “Coconut, come here”… he was already doing this on his own but I increased the distance to about 4 feet and he kept flying onto my shoulder on command. Once he gets all his flight feathers and has more control I will teach him to fly onto my hand.

I used sunflower seeds as a reward… this is not good. Don’t want him eating so many sunflower seeds! Both he and Rascal don’t really like millet though… weirdo birds. I will start using his regular food as a “reward”… or anyone have any other ideas?

It’s so much fun “training”” them… Coconut is MUCH more responsive and trainable than Rascal! Coconut is also already potty trained like a champ.

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Today I tried to teaching Coconut to come to me when I say “Coconut, come here”… he was already doing this on his own but I increased the distance to about 4 feet and he kept flying onto my shoulder on command. Once he gets all his flight feathers and has more control I will teach him to fly onto my hand.

I used sunflower seeds as a reward… this is not good. Don’t want him eating so many sunflower seeds! Both he and Rascal don’t really like millet though… weirdo birds. I will start using his regular food as a “reward”… or anyone have any other ideas?

It’s so much fun “training”” them… Coconut is MUCH more responsive and trainable than Rascal! Coconut is also already potty trained like a champ.

You don't want to use his regular food. The reward part of the treat loses its significance if he has access to it all the time. As long as you limit the sunflower seeds to when you are training, you should be absolutely fine.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Agree with Chris...the reward has to be a high value treat for it to work. My tiles also love safflowers and pine nuts.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's awesome. Some birds are much easier to train than others.. glad to hear Coconut is coming along well.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Ya that's what I figured... he would be VERY unimpressed if I used his regular food as a reward. I'm sure he would start thinking "What the HECK is this? This is my REWARD?!?!! Screw you!!!" LOL :p

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Pine nuts, pine nuts and pine nuts. Salty would do my taxes for a pine nut. They motivate him like nothing else. They are how I got Salty to'
Spin in circles
Roll over
Place a whiffed ball in a cup
Jump thru hoops, literally
Step up onto chop sticks
Play peek a boo in tunnels made of cushions
Shake hands
Harness training
Place colored ring on specific posts
And start learning to play xylophone

Yep pine nuts, the treat of chamions

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Pine nuts, pine nuts and pine nuts. Salty would do my taxes for a pine nut. They motivate him like nothing else. They are how I got Salty to'
Spin in circles
Roll over
Step up onto chop sticks
Shake hands
Harness training

LOL I see :)

In that case I'm going to buy a small bag of pine nuts next time I'm in the store. Coconut will do ANYTHING for a sunflower seed (but it must be unshelled though as he likes to crack the shell and make a mess) I have noticed whereas Rascal REFUSES to eat any sunflower seeds at all.

It's very refreshing to have a more interactive bird and one I can have fun training as Rascal is sort of... well.... not into it. Loving little Coconut :D

I've noticed Coconut loves it when I say "good bird" in a cheerful voice when he follows my command... soon I won't even need to use any food rewards to get him to fly to me on command from a long distance. I didn't use any such food rewards to potty train him. It's insane how FAST he picked it up! I only get pooped on if I FORGET to say "go potty". =)

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Spin in circles
Roll over
Step up onto chop sticks
Shake hands
Harness training

That Salty Dude is a smart 'lil cookie..
He's a CPA <does taxes>
A master mechanic..<Changes transmissions>
The Bossman loves him..Al...send him to work for you..then you can concentrate of getting Bretts bike up and running for a ride..who knows,maybe the Bossman will give him a raise..then again..maybe he'll pay him in pine nuts! :p

Jim

Most Reactions