concerns with work schedule and lonelyness

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Valentino is still at my friends home in Fort Wayne. My move to Indiana was extreamly stressful but Valentino was well taken care of in FTW while I made the final move to Indiana. I want to bring home Valentino this Sunday but the movers broke off a wheel from Valentino's cage. I cannot set up the cage until I get the wheel part next week. It does not feel like home here until I have my boy with me.

This week was my first week in the new job. I have met with the director and various other ISO higher ups and have learned that the Northern Indiana VA health care system is being build up from the infastructor on out. Lots of projects are in the works and a lot of planning and upgrading are being sunk into this area. I am very excited with all that is going to be happening here with my career. I really have a solid future here and feel very secure I chose wisely to move all the way out here. However with such undertaking means a crap load of work and overtime. I will be investing a lot of my time and energy into this career because there is so much oppertunity for growth. After I get trained in I will be working compressed sechedule with overtime. Valentino will be spending more time alone waiting for me to come home from work. With a 9 hour workday with 40 min commute each way I worry Valentino will be spending too many hours alone in his cage. Where he is at now he has another RFM accross the room from him for company and my friend is retired. She is busy but not near as busy as I will be with my new job.

This is the first time in all the years I have had parrots where I only have one. I normally have no less than two but unfortunatly for me to "add" to my flock is not feasiable. Maybe down the line but because I rent now instead of owning my own home I do not think it would be wise to bring in another parrot. This leaves me to worry that my pending work schedule and how much I will be putting into this job will lead to a very unhappy RFM.

My plan is after I can finally bring him home to see how it goes. I have made a promise to myself that I would not have Valentino suffer at my hands with my life situation as it is going to be now. If he does not do well with my schedule and is alone so much it adversly affects him I will need to make some hard decisions.

I would love to hear from others that have been though what I am experiencing, I feel like I have put Valentino through so much so that I could keep my boy. I do not want him to pay the price for all these changes

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Rebecca, I wanted to say I am thrilled for you that things have worked out on the job front (I knew that someone would recognize your valuable skill set and experience ;)).

That is a hard one though with Valentino. I've had birds do just fine alone for long periods, BUT then again I'm not talking about Macaws. I've had some independent species and individuals.

I wonder if you can pay your friend to do "daycare" on work days? Unless you think that would be asking too big of a favor. Other members may have good suggestions for you. Good luck :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm very happy your new job is working out so well for you. Congratulations! Enjoy your hard earned success. I hope this is only the first of many good things for you.

I understand your worry over Valentino, it is difficult to make that kind of decision. I know Valentino's happiness is a huge priority for you.

Obviously, the hours you have to leave Valentino alone will be a tough obstacle. All I can suggest is to go ahead with your plan to bring Valentino home and see how well he does. Birds are adaptable and Valentino is already bonded to you, it's possible the new arrangement won't be too bad for him.

I wish you and Valentino the very best, Rebecca!

Last edited:
OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Thank you all for the well wishes. Bringing Valentino home is a huge priority for me but keeping him happy and healthy is the higher priority. I did joke with my co-workers that if I'm going to be doing a lot of overtime I was going to bring Valentino in to work and put him in the avairy that they have near the mental health ward. I had vivid images of this giant "finch" with the red head saying "Hi Baby" to whom ever walked by. Worse yet is Valentino getting out of the avairy and flying around the VA freely doing what ever he wanted. I would probably get fired LOL The lady that takes care of the avairy wouldl be in for a huge surprise.

My friend that is taking care of Valentino came over to visit. I showed her the issue with his cage and I did hope the wheel whould of been delivered today in the mail but no go there. I discussed my worries with my intense work schecule and she offered that if Valentino does not do well with being alone she will want to bring over her red belly to help keep him company. In a way that is a good idea but then I realized I know next to nothing about red belly parrots. I guess I better brush up on knowledge about them just in case.

I feel very blessed with such a good support system I have here on the forum and with my friend. Only parrot people truely understand where I am coming from. Valentino is very important to me so his well being comes first. As much as I do love my job and as important as this job is to me Valentino must be considered first.

Soooooo a red belly may be coming to live with us. Oh my....

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I hope it works out well for all :).

Some Red Bellied info just in case ;). My Red Bellied parrot is a real roll-with-the-punches type of guy. Let's just say he has gone through A LOT in the 20 years I've had him. I think many birds would have acted out or plucked or whatever with what Robin has had to go through at certain points in his life, but Robin is so easy going and independent that he simply doesn't even fit the stereotype for a parrot! Raven is pretty close in that way too. Robin is simply the best parrot I've ever had.

Robin can be an extremely hard biter though, as is typical for Pois, with an oversized beak for their body. Both cuddly and independent. I don't know of another genus other than Poicephalus who can be so cuddly (if raised that way from a young age) AND have this level of independence at the same time. Tough little birds, happy go lucky, don't get their feelings hurt easily, and don't hold grudges. That's my Red Bellied parrot. :)

Most Reactions