Confessions: Animal Hoarding

Ozzy

Sep 28, 2010
Orlando
Parrots
Ozzy- 5 year old Dna'd male Blue Front Amazon
Has anyone seen the episode on Animal Planet with the lady who hoards parrots? She has 25 of them (Macaws, Greys, Amazons, Conures etc). If you get the show where you are its very interesting. Surprisingly she seems like she really loves them and takes decent care. I do understand the want to save them all. Just thought I would put it out there if anyone is interested in watching it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Ozzy talked to the birds the entire time I watched the show lol!

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
I haven't seen it but my eyes are popping out just thinking of having 25 Parrots!!!!! One grey was a lot of work I can't imagine 25. Holy cow!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Which lady? The one with the bird lung disease or the one that got her finger bitten that she couldn't work? Neither one took good care of their birds. Did you see all the bird food all over the floor, the one with the bird lung disease. Then she had rats going in her spare room, etc. That room was full of junk, etc.

The lady who got her finger bitten by a cockatoo that had to get surgery for didn't take good care of them either. All that poop piled up on the bottom of the cage. I feel bad to even let my bird cage have poopy piled up on the grate when I get sick. I usually push myself up to do it, unless I was really sick like a month ago when I had the flu. Running temp and such makes it real hard to get around when I feel sick constantly. Neither one of those lady had the excuse to not clean up those sloppy mess!!!!

OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Sep 28, 2010
Orlando
Parrots
Ozzy- 5 year old Dna'd male Blue Front Amazon
Okay okay I didnt necessarily mean she took fantastic care. I saw the one with the bird lung disease and while her house was messy her cages werent horrible and she had that outdoor aviary. Maybe I wasnt watching hard enough... I do not think it was the ideal home for any bird, I do think she loved them all though and tried her best. I think I was expecting an animal hoarder to be like a puppy mill and the person to not care about the pets and only looking for profit. I was surprised to see it was actually someone doing what they thought was best. I dont think she was doing it for selfish reasons, she wanted to save them all and give them better than what she thought they previously had.

I dont want to fight though :)

And yes the rats were nasty... beyond nasty.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They did think they were doing the best for the birds I do have to agree with that.

We spent 2 hrs each day just cleaning up after all of our pets. That don't count the other times we play, feed, etc with each one of them. And we both work a full time job. I don't sleep much cause I know my babies needs me. I play catch up on my rest on my days off, with 8-9hrs of sleep max. During all the other days, around 6-7hrs. Sometimes less if one of them is sick. Everytime I walk by my Eclectus Cage I sweep the floor cause they're very messy eaters.

IF I can do all this on a daily basis, so can those people that don't even work.

I didn't even mention I do my own house remodeling work, I have lots of house plants and I grow african violets. My friends do not understand how we manage all of them, but we do. I have visitors that come all the time and no one ever says our house is messy or they don't like to come visit cause it's disgusting cause we do a lot of cleaning all the time. During the summer, I work in my garden a lot.

To sum it up, for them to really do the birds some good is to find them a loving home that can care for them. That's with any pets, they are their responsibility!!!!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
heck, I only have one small Senegal and I bet I spend a good hour a day cleaning up after her, from her cage to the couple of chairs she likes to perch on.

Horders are notoriously nasty, dirty & lazy. I think that's how they get into hording, it's easier to just throw the item in a corner than it is to set it to the curb for garbage pickup.

But this is what bothers me with pet horders. When will enough be enough with anything, from trash to pets. I think some actually think they are doing a good thing by aquiring all those pets and get that warm fuzzy feeling inside and are actually addicted to that feeling by rescuing animals. But eventually they wind up getting more than they can handle and rather than adopt some out, they just let them go. So now the rescueeeee needs rescuing from there self and their pets.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I have known a couple of hoarders...I would not classify their behavior as lazy. My last girlfriend's mother was like that. When I took her back to her house the first time, I just couldn't believe my eyes at what was going on there.

It is something much, much stranger than laziness. It is this kind of quiet desperation they have...almost like nothing matters to them. They are constantly sad and embarrassed about it. I think mostly, they are self-absorbed. I don't mean that in an evil sort of way...I just mean they are oblivious to how what they are doing impacts those around them.

Now as to the parrots, I have to think it would take a good 8 hours a day just to keep 25 parrots fed, watered, and cleaned up after. This says nothing of tending to their emotional and mental needs. I think a "flock" of parrots is based on a lot more than just sheer numbers. In fact, I think a solitary parrot or just a couple of parrots are probably able to deal with the artificial environment of a cage better than a large group. I think the large group just highlights the inadequacy of an artificial environment more than with just one or two.

Hoardresearch

Jun 21, 2011
Hi Guys,

Thanks for watching the show. I'm a researcher for Confessions: Animal Hoarding.

I just wanted to remind you that if you know you are concerned about the health of animals in someone's care and suspect they may be hoarding them, we might be able to help.

Most animal hoarders don’t see themselves as hoarders, and sometimes don’t intentionally collect animals. Their relationship with their animals has threatened their relationships with friends and family.

Most of these situations aren’t dealt with until they become criminal. This results in animals being euthanized by over-stressed shelters, and doesn’t address the underlying psychological issues - meaning nearly 100% of people end up in the same situation again.

We are dedicated to finding comprehensive long-term solutions and believe therapy to be key to this. We can bring in experts to help people and their pets.

If you or someone you know needs help because animals have overrun their life, visit Animal Hoarding Project | Home to learn more and submit their story. Alternatively, contact me directly at [email protected] or toll-free at
1 -877-698-7387.

We will treat all submissions with confidentiality and respect.

:yellow1:

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
I don't understand hoarding but I try to....I just find it incredible sad.

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
A lot of animal hoarders look at the mess/smell/isolation from friends and family as just part of loving so many animals. The animals themselves take the place of human relationships.

I used to take care of a lady who hoarded cats. Everyone makes fun of the "crazy cat lady" but I saw what life was like for her every day. She was lonely. Her family had long since given up on her. But she had her kitties and she truly believed she was doing what was best for them. In her eyes, she had saved them from the pound and/or certain death.

She also hoarded belongings to the point where you could only navigate through a narrow trail in her house. I tried to help her clean up whenever she would allow it and just keep things as sanitary as possible. Its definitely not laziness and it is very sad to see someone doing something which ultimately ends up hurting them.

I have to be honest though, I intensely dislike these reality tv shows. It doesn't really give you a true glimpse of what its like to struggle with hoarding. Someone can come in and take all the animals or all the stuff away but in time it builds back up again. It breaks my heart to see someone's most shameful secret broadcast for the masses to sit and judge.

I know. I know. No one forces them to do it. They consent to it and they're adults so they have that right. It just upsets me is all. In the end, I could only do just so much for that lady I took care of and it still haunts me the way she lived and the misery and shame she endured as a result of her problem.

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
I for one am not a big tv watcher....in fact, I could live without my tv...I am not a big news watcher either....I like to try and stay positive and the news and a lot of shows are so negative..........Now, if anyone tried to take my computer, they would have a fight on their hands.......LOL..to be honest...any posts on forums that look like they may have articles and/or videos that are to disturbing, I just don't go into them...
I know all birds can't and neglected animals can't be saved......I don't need to see the abuse...I know it's out there...I give to animal charities but thats as far as it goes....the stories out there are just to many and to negative for me. Just my humble opinion.

Hoardresearch

Jun 21, 2011
Someone can come in and take all the animals or all the stuff away but in time it builds back up again. It breaks my heart to see someone's most shameful secret broadcast for the masses to sit and judge.

I know. I know. No one forces them to do it. They consent to it and they're adults so they have that right. It just upsets me is all. In the end, I could only do just so much for that lady I took care of and it still haunts me the way she lived and the misery and shame she endured as a result of her problem.

FYI

Confessions: Animal Hoarding is dedicated to finding comprehensive long-term solutions and believe therapy to be key to this. We bring in experts and have the resources to help both people and their pets. We have a full-time aftercare department - which helps find homes for the animals and tracks out participants, making sure they are attending their therapy appointments long after our cameras have stopped rolling.

Of the 32 stories featured in our first season, pets were voluntarily relinquished in all but two. None of the animals were taken away. They were coached to release them but if people wanted to keep some pets, they did so.

Thanks to the aftercare and ongoing therapy we provide, our recidivism rate has been near zero (as compared to nearly 100% when pets are forcibly removed).

If you want more information or to submit a hoarder you may know visit
Animal Hoarding Project | Home or call 1-877-698-7387.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
I believe that sometimes people try to fulfill an emotional/psychological/spiritual need within themselves with pets that they can never "fill" from pets... just like some people look for something from food that they can never "fill" within themselves with food & some people try with alcohol, some people try with shopping, etc. I believe this is how animal hoarding starts. These people have a "hole"/need within themselves that they don't know how to fill. Pets can't fill it. Alcohol can't fill it. Eating can't fill it. Shopping can't fill it. All of these things just cause yet another problem to be dealt with. I personally believe that a spiritual life is the only way to fill that hole.

Last edited:

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
It might've seen that one. But maybe the one I saw was another parrot one. She hoarded mostly macaws and they had an outdoor aviary, but she had like 30 macaws.

Most Reactions

Latest posts