considering a conure...!

missModified

Jul 10, 2013
surrey (will soon be moving to Lincolnshire (uk mi
Parrots
none at present (looking into the perfect parrot for our family)
hello all :)
my boyfriend an I are looking into getting a bird when we move next year (once we're settled ourselves!) and have been considering a lot of options.
I used to have budgies and cockatiels when I was younger, and so have a little experience, but this will be his first bird so we are looking to get something that will be manageable for both of us size and personality wise. some of the species we've been looking at are green cheeks and crimson bellied conures :)
Were looking to get a snuggly and playful bird in a small-ish package so conures seem like a good place to start looking! We are open to suggestions as to other types as well, its more about the personality and temperament for us.
We're hoping people can give us first hand accounts of what its like to own these little beauties? We need to know the good and the bad so dont be scared to share your story even if its not the most positive, though I'm sure most of them are! :D

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Hi and welcome to the forum. I think either choice would be really great. And one more to add to the list is an African redbellied parrot. I have a female and is now my favorite parrot. She is snuggly, Good tempered, Very quiet and would be a good apartment bird. I have had her for a year and bought her at 5 mo old last July. She is very easygoing and laid back and an absolute doll.:)

OP
M

missModified

Jul 10, 2013
Parrots
Hi and welcome to the forum. I think either choice would be really great. And one more to add to the list is an African redbellied parrot. I have a female and is now my favorite parrot. She is snuggly, Good tempered, Very quiet and would be a good apartment bird. I have had her for a year and bought her at 5 mo old last July. She is very easygoing and laid back and an absolute doll.:)

Funny you should say that as we have been looking at pictures of the red bellies as well and both think they're stunning, its good to hear they are sweet natured too :)

Oopisy

Feb 16, 2013
Paradise CA
Parrots
Sylvarie Jenday Conure
Jenday conures are noisey and playfull then there is Sylvarie he is not noisy and down right irratating but that just him they have thier own attadudes and will make you work for affection but its fun and i would not trade him for anything

OP
M

missModified

Jul 10, 2013
Parrots
Jenday conures are noisey and playfull then there is Sylvarie he is not noisy and down right irratating but that just him they have thier own attadudes and will make you work for affection but its fun and i would not trade him for anything

Jendays are gorgeous, and the little bird i your picture looks adorably cheeky! :)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
While every bird is different, green-cheeks are usually not as loud as the others, very cuddly. But when they want to get loud they can raise the roof. :).

OP
M

missModified

Jul 10, 2013
Parrots
While every bird is different, green-cheeks are usually not as loud as the others, very cuddly. But when they want to get loud they can raise the roof. :).

Im hoping noise won;t be too much of an issue as we'll be in a house rather than a flat, and I dont mind noisiness (its just the future neighbours who might!) Green cheeks seem to be becoming one of our top choices at the moment as nearly everything we've read has been good. How are conures 'nippy' wise?

Most Reactions

Latest posts