Considering getting a Caique but lots of questions?

StarryIllusion

Sep 3, 2015
Hi everyone. I am considering whether or not a Black Headed Caique would be the pet for me but I'm really not sure so hoping to benefit from your experience and expertise.

I recently went to a local wildlife centre on an experience day and there was this Caique in the training room where they keep some of the birds that do a lot of the shows and displays for educational visits and whatnot and I instantly fell in love with him. I have never in my life seen such as attitude on a bird and apparently this is a trait of this species.

The lady training them said that he could be rather unpredictable and most staff didn't like handling him but I had a go flying him and getting him to do some of his tricks and for whatever reason he loved me and spent the rest of the hour hanging out on my shoulder so when I found out you could keep them as pets I started looking into it.

My main problem is noise. At the moment I live with my mum, I may soon be moving into a flat but the same issue will apply there, I can't have a bird that constantly screeches.

My nan had a Cockatiel and he used to do this earsplitting scream and he did it constantly whether he was getting attention or not. Even when you were stood there chatting with him he would do it again and again to the point where she had to rehome him because she couldn't cope with it.

My aunt has an African Grey, Barney, who also screeches. I think because we live by a bus stop whenever he stays he copies the sound of the air brakes on the bus. My mum is really hesitant about the idea of a Caique because of this. She doesn't want constant screeching and screaming. Whistling and other noises are fine it's just that horrible scream that Sparky and Barney both do that has put her off and I'm wondering if Caiques would do it as much or if it is quieter since they are so much smaller.

The one at the wildlife park didn't but he was older and trained.

Also I hear a lot about them being aggressive. I have no experience with birds apart from what I said here, I had two budgies as a kid if that counts lol. Are they hard to train for someone who doesn't really know what she is doing?

I wouldn't get one for a year or two anyway as I currently have a Chinese Hamster and I wouldn't want to be witness to that particular introduction but if/when I get one it would be an only pet and have plenty of time out of the cage. I work full time but when I am home it would be allowed out pretty much all the time. How big are their cages? When Barney stays his cage is taller than I am and takes up half the living room. He doesn't come out of it much anymore though, ever actually, grumpy old man.

Can you take them out with you? Loads of people say they like "outings" but how would you do that? I don't want it to be bored but I wouldn't be sure about clipping its wings and their little legs look too fragile to tether.

Another funny one which will probably seem obvious but remember I never had a bird before. When you let them out do they poop everywhere or is that just an occasional thing and if they do, does it stain? Cause again, living with my mum and I doubt she will appreciate poop down her curtains.

So what do you think? Is this breed for me I would I be better off with another species?

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
My main problem is noise. At the moment I live with my mum, I may soon be moving into a flat but the same issue will apply there, I can't have a bird that constantly screeches.

All birds call to the flock morning and evening, at least. This is LOUD and can go on for 20 minutes. Caiques can SHRIEK!

Caiques are flock birds. They feel insecure alone. They will call to the flock- OFTEN! ( YOU are the flock)

Caiques are much smaller than a Grey but nobody told them that. they have MASSIVE ATTITUDE. In THEIR minds they are ten feet tall and bulletproof!

Cage size? MASSIVE and full of toys. Unless you can give him free rein in the house ALL THE TIME. A caique is like a toddler with pliers, investigates everything, breaks everything ( joyfully).

Their little legs are stronger than yours. They are climbers not fliers. BUT, Im against tethers ( the jerky movements. I HAVE taken a clipped bird with me to a beach restaurant, BUT I was on RED ALERT all the time.

Caique poop is MESSY. The morning poop is a sight to see. They will find a high ledge. lean over and bombs away. Otherwise its not bad.

Really you must be ready for SOME poop stains if you have a bird who lives in your ear like a caique. Excitement, a sudden movement, a barking dog, all cause a fright and an immediate poop.,

Caiques will test your patience, many times and are not for first time bird owners!

I have 11

Last edited:
OP
S

StarryIllusion

Sep 3, 2015
Honestly I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to mess and some noise but I'm not the only one living here so I do have to be considerate. As long as I can clean it up properly (baby wipes or something) I can't see the odd poop being an issue. Its just noise really. So you think they would not be a good choice for a first bird? You're probably right, 11 of them must be a handful. Is there a species of parrot you would recommend as being a good first bird or that you think would fit well with what I have said? I would rather stick with smaller birds really as I wouldn't want a large one to be miserable, cooped up in an apartment but I do want one that is fairly affectionate and playful. I've heard good things about green cheeked conures?

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
Conures can scream loud enough to strip paint off the walls. You need to be looking at cockatiels, lovebirds, budgies for a first bird

CaiqueBlessed

Oct 28, 2014
Northern VA
Parrots
Phoenix-a White Belly Caique-who was hatched Sept 2014.
They can get loud and as Irish said there are times that they will call to the flock and it can get loud. We have one and my husband works from home 3 days out of the week. He complains about the noise but when I work from home, Phoenix is not that loud. But then I have his cage open or he is on me, whereas my husband is in his office.

As Irish stated they are small birds but think they are really big birds. The poop thing, we have had ours since he was 3 months, at first every time he was out there was accidents but has he has gotten older (his hatch date is in 6 days) less and less. There are wipes out there that will clean up the poop.

He loves giving kisses and hugs. He also loves to play and chase feet, there has not been a toe that he does not enjoy checking out. Our Phoenix is not a flyer, I have tried working with him but if it is so far, he refuses to try. He loves chasing and following all of us around. The kids love playing tag with him.

I suggest read up, read up. And if you can find an aviary with caiques go in and visit the caiques there and talk with the owners. Just be careful, they are easy to fall in love with!

CaiqueBlessed

Oct 28, 2014
Northern VA
Parrots
Phoenix-a White Belly Caique-who was hatched Sept 2014.
Oh, I forgot to add. We do take our caique out for walks. We have a flight harness on him. He does not like it on but does tolerate it when we say "Walk outside". He also find some security in it also. I have notice the times I take him out on the porch without it he is very reserve but with the harness on, he is very attentive and will walk from shoulder to shoulder.

ShaunaR

Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pixie the White Bellied Caique
Hello and good for you for finding this forum and doing your research before getting into bird ownership. I will attempt to describe some of the challenges and and knowledge we have obtained along the way. I am certainly no expert but will give you what my limited understanding is regarding Caiques. We only had a canary before getting our Caique Pixie about a year and a half ago.

Both my husband and I did a tremendous amount of reading before she came home and still found we fumbled our way along through feedings (she wasn't quite weaned) and care for at least a year before feeling comfortable with her care.

I can honestly say we had no idea what we were getting into.

Regarding noise, you can clearly hear Pixie from outside our home, any time of the day. She isn't much of a screamer but does let us know when she wants attention, calling us loudly whenever we leave her alone in the living room. She has a certain whistle of 2-4 notes she repeats endlessly until she sees we are back, or hears us respond with whistles. I heard someone call it "cheering" the family on and that is exactly what she does. When she sees me working in the kitchen she mimics the microwave repeatedly in a very loud fashion until I make it beep for her. When I am using the vacumn she whistles loudly in competition. When our dogs bark she competes with them too. As I understand it, noise is just a fact that goes along with bird ownership. If you look at any bird outside your home, noise is a factor at least in the early morning and at bed time. Our canary can even sing so loudly it's difficult to hear the TV. We love his song so we simply adjust our life to accommodate that.

Caiques can be very sensitive to the mistakes a new bird owner normally makes and I think that is one of the draw backs of having them as a first bird. Pixie can be moody and has difficulty forgiving mistakes. If you attempt to get her to step up and you are hesitant, she senses this immediately and that alone can cause her to bite. Pixie has only bitten to break the skin once but bites plenty of times to the point that it hurts alot. Usually we have done something wrong like attempt to take her food before she is finished with it. Birds give you plenty of body language that suggests that a bite could be coming so it's a matter of working with recognizing that and changing your approach. Having said that she is always very well behaved with strangers and incredibly sweet which is similar to your experience.
One thing we didn't realize before we got Pix is the time we'd spend making toys, buying toys, and trying new ways of challenging and enriching her life. Having trained dogs in the past, I can easily say Pix takes more time to care for than our 3 dogs combined. She needs to be handled several times a day as well as needs supervised time out of her cage for about 3 hours per day minimally or we start to see feather plucking and increased noise. She also needs her toys rotated every week minimally. We have an entire closet full of toy supplies and toys which we feel is necessary to keep her life meaningful.

All of this aside, we love our Pixie and would never go back to the days without her. It's been a busy year full of mistakes, love, and learning. She is certainly like having a 2 year old running around with pliers and will be for upwards of 25 years or more.
Ultimately, if you value a quiet home, then IMHO birds are likely not a good choice as a pet. Some are quieter along the continuum but all have their noisy moments.
Shauna

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Have you thought about a parrotlet??? okay I am definitely bias, but as far as noise goes, they do chatter. Less than a budgie, but they do a flock call, mine usually in the morning, until I uncover her. Some even learn to talk. If a cockatiel bothers you (like they do me) then a caique may not be a good choice. They can be very loud, they are very rambunctious and funny parrots.

Most Reactions

Latest posts