Considering this guy

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
I was planning on getting a couple of rope perches tomorrow and then getting some natural ones asap.

Poor baby.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome home Nico. You are in a far, far better place now than you’ve ever been before!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Rember to keep him far away from the other birds. And clean hands between...
So glad you got him!! Yippie!

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Yes. Hes quarantined in my bedroom with me. They have all talked to each other and Fidget is going nuts hearing, but not seeing him! But yes, they are apart and will stay that way for awhile.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
I'm so happy for you both!! Really well done. Even that you didn't get carried away and offer what they wanted and try and find funds for the vet bill is the right thing to do! Obviously financially it is good for you and the bird and also maybe the family will realise they need to think more carefully in future because they can't just sell their bird for loads of money.

I can't wait to find out more about how you both get on :)

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
That poor baby! He is so beautiful. This makes me want to scream, cry or puke. I hope you can help him. I would be willing to donate to his vet bills just so he can get out of that mess he is in. And, I am very serious. I will put up cash to help this bird, or any bird that is in a bad situation.

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
That poor baby! He is so beautiful. This makes me want to scream, cry or puke. I hope you can help him. I would be willing to donate to his vet bills just so he can get out of that mess he is in. And, I am very serious. I will put up cash to help this bird, or any bird that is in a bad situation.

Anita, thank you so much for the offer, but I think I can cover the vet bills, (if not, CC to the rescue!) But its so kind of you to offer!

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
I'm so happy today! I put water, (of course), fruit zupreem, sunflower seeds and some fresh fruits and veges in his cage. Today I caught him eating a zupreem pellet and some apples and hes eating some pine nuts from me. I know zupreem fruit pellets isnt the best choice but its worlds better then sunflower seeds!

I also just got him a natural grapevine perch which I will put in his cage tomorrow when hes out of it for the vet visit

He also just let me scratch is head a little bit through the cage! "happy happy dance!" At times he even looks like hes smiling! Heres a few new pics of him.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Oh, I’m so glad you were able to rescue this bird! He looks beautiful and happy and he looks like you are his chosen person! I’m sure that with good care from you he will become very healthy as well. Congratulations!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
He chose you for sure!
One thing you can try for the owie feet, until you get to vet.
Take a hand towel and soak in hot water with a few drops of betadine. Be careful it stains. Then lay the nicely damp towl on bottom if cage and out a bowl with best treat ever in it on top of towel. This will clean, and help heal feet with minium stress. After he eats his snack take towel out.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Pine nuts !! The treat of choice round our house. Those are Salty's training treats,and he would paint my livingroom for some.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots

Anita, thank you so much for the offer, but I think I can cover the vet bills, (if not, CC to the rescue!) But its so kind of you to offer!

We got some good members here, huh ?

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
For perches, where you live, there should be plenty of bottlebrush! A great wood! A life and death stipulation! No pesticides of any kind!!

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Wrench, YES! We absolutely do have the best members here! I am totally blown away by the kindness and caring of the members here!

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Wrench, he seems to like pine nuts, but has trouble eating them because of the size and his beak. He can take it from my fingers, but cant pick them out out of a bowl. :(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The more pictures I see of your DYH Amazon, the more I'm leaning (hard) toward his being a Hybrid Yellow Effect.

As his nape fills in with additional yellow feathers watch for yellow feathers with an outer edge that has red on it. It is one of those indicators of yet another Hybrid group.

Please let us know what his weight is; I'm guessing in the 550 to 575 grams area minimum.

Welcome to the DYH Amazon family!!! A family that is very attentive to the joy of Hormonal Season... :D.

Enjoy!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Wrench, he seems to like pine nuts, but has trouble eating them because of the size and his beak. He can take it from my fingers, but cant pick them out out of a bowl. :(

You can get shelled human grade pine nuts in bulk at most supermarkets. I cut them in 1/2 or 1/3 if they are large. You dont want to feed a lot of these, high in fats. Make great training treats.

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Re: Considering this guy (update w/ vet visit)

Just got back from the vet. He said he actually looks to be in generally good health. His feet are because of his bad diet but now that his diet should be getting better, they should improve. He told me a name for what it is, but I cant remember what it is. I'll have it tomorrow when I pick up paperwork.

He also thinks that his yellow feathers are also due to his bad diet. I kinda hope hes wrong and that hes a hybrid, I like all those yellow feathers on his back. But mostly I want him to be healthy!

As for the beak, he trimmed almost all of the extra growth off. He said that there were not nerves in the part that he cut off which has to be right because he came right home and started eating and drinking without a problem! He is however having a tough time getting around his cage without that long hook beak to hold on to the bars! I'm sure he'll get used to it soon though.

He also did a bunch of blood work which I will have the results of in the next day or two.

Oh, and he weighs 551 gms! Hes a big boy! (or girl)

So, with all that said, I'm happy with how the visit went. :)

Heres a couple of pics showing his new, better beak! :)

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
That parrot sure like you! I know you are working on perches, definitely needs a really wide one that just the toenails and first joint curl around. Most darn perches sold are not near wide enough for medium parrots. Even my parakeets live super wide perches, like the size a macaw would use! Big wide crurves offer the most relaxed foot rest

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very happy to hear your Vet's report!!!

The upper bill is a bit too straight, but a common appearance when first shortened. The reason your guy is have a problem getting around is the lack of a hook to the upper bill. Note the notch where the lower beak sets into the upper. That notch will become deeper and a bit wider with time as your guy uses the beak to get around.

Continue to love the photos of your sweetheart...
Your going to have a lover on your hands really soon!

Hmmm, 550 grams! That's a great weight, especially considering the past diet.

Enjoy!

Most Reactions