OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
Thanks!

Right now, he has decided he LOVES blueberries! I am starting to believe that improving his diet wont be all that hard to do. I know I need to work in some veges but for now, anything fresh is good.

As far as his perches go, I just got that new one. I guess maybe I didnt get it large enough. I'll have to go get a bigger one. I didnt realize that the bigger the perch, the more relaxed his feet would be. I'm still learning!

hehe.... hes in there squawking for some company. I hate leaving him alone, but I live in a two bedroom apt and hes sharing my bedroom, but Fidget and Addy are in the living room with me, so I cant bring him in yet. :( He does like it when I go and sit and talk to him.

I'm in love. :)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Welcome to the 3 amazon club.
Watching them play off each other and imitate each others vocalization is a lot of fun.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks!

Right now, he has decided he LOVES blueberries! I am starting to believe that improving his diet wont be all that hard to do. I know I need to work in some veges but for now, anything fresh is good.

As far as his perches go, I just got that new one. I guess maybe I didnt get it large enough. I'll have to go get a bigger one. I didnt realize that the bigger the perch, the more relaxed his feet would be. I'm still learning!

hehe.... hes in there squawking for some company. I hate leaving him alone, but I live in a two bedroom apt and hes sharing my bedroom, but Fidget and Addy are in the living room with me, so I cant bring him in yet. :( He does like it when I go and sit and talk to him.

I'm in love. :)

When you have time, read the other huge Sticky Thread in the Amazon Forum, Titled: I Love Amazons - ... Within that huge Thread is a segment Titled something like; Getting to the Foot of the Problem. That segment (see page 1) is followed by several photos that display the point regarding larger perches and how they spread the weight (pressure) across the pads of the foot.

Enjoy!

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
WOOHOO! All his bloodwork came back perfect! I'm so relieved that he doesnt have any liver or other problems!

Now to get his diet fixed and we are all good!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Take a quick look at the Photo of Month Contest for this month. You will find that there is a Photo of a DYH Amazon in Amazon Rooster attitude!

So very happy that your DYH Amazon has provide great numbers across the board!!! So, you poor lady, you have a solid, healthy Amazon ready to sparkle your life...

Just keep repeating: Amazon's Rule, Amazon's Rule, etc, etc, etc...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
WOOHOO! All his bloodwork came back perfect! I'm so relieved that he doesnt have any liver or other problems!

Now to get his diet fixed and we are all good!

Fantastic!!!!!!
This story makes me so happy to!

MarkJ77433

Mar 17, 2020
Cypress, TX (Houston)
Parrots
Congo African Grey (deceased - 40 years)
Yellow Naped Amazon (deceased 33 years)
Panama Amazon (born 4/21/2019)
I've enjoyed reading this thread (today from beginning to present). I look forward to reading more updates.

Good luck with your new DYH.....

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Re: Considering this guy (update w/ vet visit)

Just got back from the vet. He said he actually looks to be in generally good health. His feet are because of his bad diet but now that his diet should be getting better, they should improve. He told me a name for what it is, but I cant remember what it is. I'll have it tomorrow when I pick up paperwork.

He also thinks that his yellow feathers are also due to his bad diet. I kinda hope hes wrong and that hes a hybrid, I like all those yellow feathers on his back. But mostly I want him to be healthy!

As for the beak, he trimmed almost all of the extra growth off. He said that there were not nerves in the part that he cut off which has to be right because he came right home and started eating and drinking without a problem! He is however having a tough time getting around his cage without that long hook beak to hold on to the bars! I'm sure he'll get used to it soon though.

He also did a bunch of blood work which I will have the results of in the next day or two.

Oh, and he weighs 551 gms! Hes a big boy! (or girl)

So, with all that said, I'm happy with how the visit went. :)

Heres a couple of pics showing his new, better beak! :)

That second picture! He’s posing and saying “look what a pretty boy I am now!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Nico looks about 1000% happier already, good job!

Otter

Jan 21, 2020
Louisville, KY
Parrots
Princess Mia: Blue Fronted Amazon ~14 years old
He's looking so good already! Congrats on the new addition and please keep posting updates. I'm new to bird parenting and this forum myself. I find it really rewarding to follow others' journeys.

Most Reactions