Conure and Eclectus, can they be friends?

cupcake

Jul 28, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi,

I have picked my new baby boy Eclectus from our breeder and he will be ready to come home in roughly 6 weeks, Iā€™m so excited! I almost have everything ready for him, too.

I am just wondering 1 thingā€¦ my sister is getting a cinnamon green cheek conure, and we want to know if these 2 birdies will get along? She is bringing home her baby before mine, and considering how much smaller a conure is compared to an ekkie, is the conure at risk of being hurt? We want them to be able to play together or preen each other and bond, and MAYBE live in the same cageā€¦? If the conure is there first, and gets to meet the ekkie when heā€™s still a baby, will this have a better rate of success?

Do you think them living together is even a possibility? We already have separate cages but I would love if they could, especially if they become friends/bond and can keep each other company while we are at work and school. I've read websites on how to introduce new birds to each other, but I'm worried about the size difference.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Last edited:

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I'm no expert on this, but I would say it depends on the birds. Introduce them on a neutral playgym or somewhere other than their cages, and keep a really close eye on them.
If they are both babies, you'll probably have better luck. My eclectus, conure, and ringneck are all buddies and play together and preen. They are also young and grew up together. My cockatoo gets along great with the ringneck, but not the other two. He's 14.

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
Oh, also keep them in their own cages. That way they have their own area. My guys all run around in all the cages and play together, but they have their own space for sleeping and eating.

OP
cupcake

cupcake

Jul 28, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
That does make sense... everyone needs some "me" time and their own space every now and agian, lol. I think we will keep seperate cages then... I'm thinking of eventually upgrading to 2 big corner cages and pushing them side by side, forming a semi-cricle cage, if that makes sense.

If they could just play/preen together and share the same play gym we'd be happy...

Knowing that your young ekkie and conure got along gives me a lil hope.

Most Reactions