Conure being species racist?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
My 2 year old female ysgcc, Mira, isn't other bird friendly... but she HATES my other female gcc Conlan, who is a 3 yr old female.

She will puff up, sway, and get super vocal wth pinned eyes, while anywhere near my other Gcc. And while I wouldn't trust her around my Sun or Jenday, cause she's a brat.... She's not nearly as upset(she mostly ignores them) as she is around Conlan. She's never attacked Conlan or flown at her but she's clipped and knows it.

Conlan completely ignores her which is funny. Conlan has never even so much as puffed up at Mira. So it's odd. My Jenday is the only male in the room but they are all in separate cages and don't interact.

Is it normal for conures to seriouly dislike another bird of their own species, while not being as catty with other species?

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
‘Speciesist’ lol. My GCC doesn’t like other birds either. He chases them off of me, goes into their cages, chases them out of their own cages, charges at them, and does the puffy neck-stretching strut at them. He doesn’t intend to hurt them or anything, but he’s just a sassy lil brat. One thing - why is Mira clipped? All my birds are fully flighted so they can get away from each other, and yes, Kermit is flighted too.

Last edited:
OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
All my guys are clipped. They all like to be out and about in their stands, but I don't trust them to stay there and away from one another lol. Plus my Jenday is a nasty thingy with anyone but me. I tried doing the unclipped thing but the Jenday attacked my brother, my Sun Conure is to jumpy and I end up trying to chase her around the room, and my gcc's are to diva-ish.

We left the jenday unclipped for a while because he recalled like a champ. But once his hormones hit he was a complete monster. When we were alone he was great... the moment someone else opened my door he'd even attack me.

So my guys get lots of enrichment toys and play time instead.

My macaw isn't clipped but that's because he wears a harness when we go out. I'm really hoping to work on free flight him this year a bit in that harness..... if he ever figures out that not being attached to me at all times isn't a death sentence lol. He recalls so well he never leaves lol. But he has his harness on just in case.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Both my black capped and pineapple GC Conures pick on my Nanday conure all the time. They only do it when I leave the room. They know they aren't suppose to, I nag at them when they do so they wait till I leave. Little do they know I can actually hear them fighting even if I am not in the room lol. but they don't bother my cockatiel at all. Both my black capped and PGCC are males and apparently are in a relationship.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I have a very strong dislike for certain members of my own species. Doesn't mean I hate all humans, just certain individuals I'd like to punch in the face. Haven't you ever just met someone and had an instant dislike for them? Obviously as humans (or more, mature adult humans) we avoid those we dislike rather than engage/harass them, but it's normal amongst all social animals for some individuals to get along better than others. Sometimes 2 individuals just have clashing personalities and will never get along. Oftentimes, for no real 'reason' either.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
have you considered signing your birds up for government social run tolerance classes?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
have you considered signing your birds up for government social run tolerance classes?

Social tolerance classes for birds acting like birds do:23: Just go ahead and stop the planet now, I want to get OFF!

OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
ROFL Kiwibird!! I most definitely have a lot of people I dislike :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts