Conure biting?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Oh I have seen how they scold each other in the wild as well as interactin at home. Cookie ..my BFA has adopted Booger the SC. They love each other to death but sometimes get in to a squabble. If Booger becomes a pest Cookie would grab him with his foot and give Booger a beak bang on top of his head....at first. Booger learned quick. Now...for Cookie to get Booger to settle down he simply raises his foot.. which gets a squeal from Booger and Booger settles down.. no beak bang needed. Im doing bout the same thing. Just never thought of using "separation anxiety" as a training method... nor taking toys away. Using a lil harmless contact, verbal command, then gesture...has always worked very well in the last 40 years and honestly never resulted in a bite. Usually they get a finger wag from across the room...for instance if Cookie trys to sneak over and eat my TV remote while Im cooking A simple NO with a wag will make him rethink what hes about to do. Of course they get tons of attention, praise, goodies etc when we spend time together as well. I almost never get bit... last time I wasn't paying attention reaching in to Cookies cage to change out food/water/etc. without first letting him know my intent and got a half hearted bite as a result...and right away I apologized to my buddy and he accepted. I also get watched very closely when giving meds to Booger...he gets them twice a day...and Cookie supervises on my shoulder while Im dosing the lil one in my hand. We have an interesting dynamic going on here based on trust and communication. It didn't happen overnite though and when I became a bird nut there was no such thing as internet either...sheesh im old!!!!!!!!!

Fair enough it clearly works for you

It's not separation anxiety. If that was the case they would start to freak out, they wouldn't calm down and come back apologetic. I don't leave during that time, I normally stand right next to them and look at something else, it's when I hear the apology chirp I know they learnt their lesson. took me about 4 goes before he stopped nipping.

Definitely agreed that it is mutual though, if you do something they don't like then they need to tell you otherwise you'll never truly get on

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Ah...no what I mean't on separation anxiety part is when they get put in the time out cage with no toys. ..the solitary confinement. I reckon stickin em on the floor gets their attention quick.. similar to my brief restraint. Few birds like being on a floor unless its their idea. Does it work on flighted birdies??

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Ah...no what I mean't on separation anxiety part is when they get put in the time out cage with no toys. ..the solitary confinement. I reckon stickin em on the floor gets their attention quick.. similar to my brief restraint. Few birds like being on a floor unless its their idea. Does it work on flighted birdies??

aha good to see was just a mis-understanding between us. Oh it does, the sudden change in elevation normally surprises them. Mine was flighted and as I retroactively learnt and incredibly strong and competent flier and it would work on him. He tried once or twice to instantly fly off back to me but I just put him straight back down in those moments

Most Reactions

Latest posts