conure living with parakeet. advice needed.

duke

Jun 14, 2012
Hello everybody,

so i have been offered a baby green cheek conure by a breeder friend of mine, in a few months when they are ready.

I have always wanted one, but my problem is, I already have a Bourke's parakeet. my bourke doesn't have a cage (he always hated cages) he just roams and flys around the house, mainly hanging out in his little area that is set up for him, he is a very friendly bird he loves attention, being handled and played with...

so i was wondering if bringing a baby green cheek conure into this situation would be a good idea? will the conure bully or kill the Bourke?
will the conure be able to be out of a cage with the Bourke? (i dont want them to be caged very often). will bringing another bird in negativity affect my relationship with my Bourke?

also, i have had a decent amount of experience with birds, i grew up with Indian ring necks around, i have had cockatiels, budgies and grass parakeets, so training the conure shouldnt be a problem.

Any advise will be appreciated, Thank you

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I think it would depend of the age of the conure... If it's still handfed, you may get away with it, but conures are mostly aggressive birds to other species...

Don't expect them to be friends, keep them in separate cages and take them out separately..

OP
D

duke

Jun 14, 2012
Thanks for your advice Lene :)

the conure will be hand raised by my friend who breeds them, I will get it as soon as it can eat on its own.

im not expecting them to be friends or live in a cage together. i just want to know if they will be ok being let out in the house together without one being bullied or killed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts