Conure not sleeping, need advice!!!

klmd1207

Dec 18, 2012
NH
Parrots
"MR. Bird", Yellow sided Conure
My husband and i got a 1r old yellow sided Conure a week ago. We have him in a rather large cage, 74'' tall. Since we have taken him home he does not seem to be sleeping, even at night. We have him covered but can hear him walking around till 4-5 in the morning and we know he is up all day. Should we be concerned? Or is it normal and he may just need more time to adjust to being in a new enviornment? Appreciate any help, thanks!!

bubbaanddaisy

Nov 15, 2012
Parrots
2 green cheeks 1 hybrid one mutation
My husband and i got a 1r old yellow sided Conure a week ago. We have him in a rather large cage, 74'' tall. Since we have taken him home he does not seem to be sleeping, even at night. We have him covered but can hear him walking around till 4-5 in the morning and we know he is up all day. Should we be concerned? Or is it normal and he may just need more time to adjust to being in a new enviornment? Appreciate any help, thanks!!

I think it's perfectly normal just needs to get used to the new home my conure did the same just cover the bird up and he'll catch on and no concern in my veiw

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
He's just getting used to things, at some point he's probably going to pass out and take a very long nap if he isn't getting enough sleep. If you think there may be other problems take him to a avian vet for a check up, I wouldn't be too concerned by what you have described though.

74" is a very nice tall cage, is it nice and wide too? Please make sure the bar spacing is correct for your bird, if the bars are too far apart they can get their head stuck and strangle themselves or break their necks.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker

Don't you sleep at night? or are you awake all night listening to your bird walking around... :p

Birds, being prey animals, don't really sleep very well - they always have an ear open... Since he's only been with you for a week, he's still not sure, if he's safe... and if you are not relaxed enough to sleep through his walking around... he's probably not relaxed either...

Is he sleeping in your bedroom?

OP
K

klmd1207

Dec 18, 2012
NH
Parrots
"MR. Bird", Yellow sided Conure
Thank you!! I appreciate all your answers. Our cage is an XL corner cage, the bar spacing is 1/2in, its actually a cage made for 12 sugar gliders, lol.

My husband tosses and turns all night and hears him all night, we are night owls for the most part .

But hopefully he will adjust well and get some much needed sleep, lol. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts