Flight Feathers

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
Recently the girls have grown in a single set of flight feathers after they're recent clip. Con's already back to being an aerial ace but Barker is having a problem. Her set of flights came in a one wing and there are no others coming in on the other wings. Any idea why she'd have two new flights on one wing but not on the other? I know this isn't supposed to happen so I'm curious as to why.

When I brought her home 10 months ago, her previous owner had done an insane clip on her and she still hasn't lost them all. I'm worried about something being wrong with her folicles. Thanks!

bubbaanddaisy

Nov 15, 2012
Parrots
2 green cheeks 1 hybrid one mutation
Recently the girls have grown in a single set of flight feathers after they're recent clip. Con's already back to being an aerial ace but Barker is having a problem. Her set of flights came in a one wing and there are no others coming in on the other wings. Any idea why she'd have two new flights on one wing but not on the other? I know this isn't supposed to happen so I'm curious as to why.

When I brought her home 10 months ago, her previous owner had done an insane clip on her and she still hasn't lost them all. I'm worried about something being wrong with her folicles. Thanks!

With my male when we bought him the breeder actually cut into his wing so all of his feathers we damaged for almost a year now but he just started flying this week it took a while to teach now he's becoming good at it so in your case I think if you keep on clipping them for a couple months and wait for them to come in as new feathers they should fix like my gcc did but if that doesn't work after a while I think you should show a vet and now that my male learned to fly I'm not going to clip for a while

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
The clip needs to be very severe to actually damage the follicles. Some birds may take a while to loose all their feathers, my galah still has 2 clipped secondary feathers that need to be molted, she's had these two feathers for a little over a year.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The birds themselves can damage it so badly that they won't fall out during molt and they won't grow out until the base is pulled. Willie is a prime example! I regret it every single day that I clipped him years ago, for a bird that's NEVER chewed his feather in his life started chewing them down when they were clipped. The vet helped me pull some out last time we were in but that vet have quit the clinic since then so I dunno if I am able to find another vet that's willing to pull the rest out for me....Those that were pulled grew back nicely but there's still about 5 of them left that needs to be pulled. He chewed them all the way down to the base, he hates going outside anyways so we don't go outside at all so now we want him to grow them back as it's been years....

Most Reactions