conure sprained toe (??)

kimbell

Nov 17, 2015
Austin, Texas
Parrots
Pico - yellow sided GCC
I think Pico my GCC sprained or dislocated his toe, from what iā€™ve read. I just discovered the issue and iā€™m calling the avian vet first thing tomorrow morning. Just wanted to see if anyone has seen anything like this before.
What I know: the foot is not hot to the touch and does not appear swollen or discolored. He is only slightly favoring the other foot, however still using the foot in question to scratch, step up, etc - but you can tell itā€™s weak. he got irritated when I touched it but did not scream/bite as if he was in lots of pain. He is otherwise acting completely normal. The toe appears twisted and itā€™s folding over a neighboring toe.
if anyone has any knowledge on what this could be, it would put my mind at a little rest until the morning

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I don't see any signs of swelling, bruising, etc., or any open wounds/bleeding, but if he's favoring it he may very well have gotten it stuck in a toy/cage bar, etc. while playing, or while climbing the bars, etc. I don't know why it's staying crossed-over his other toe, if that's a totally new thing for him to do, but it's suspect and something to get checked-out.

Also, that particular toenail is quite long, I doubt that this has much to do with why he's "favoring" it and acting like the toe hurts, but you never know. It's possible the long toenail is getting in the way of him standing on it. Either way, I'd take him to his Avian Vet, get it checked-out, and have them clip his nails while he's there, just to make sure.

OP
kimbell

kimbell

Nov 17, 2015
Austin, Texas
Parrots
Pico - yellow sided GCC
Thank you, I was planning on getting the works done for him when I take him in. (nail trimming, general checkup etc)
There is definitely something wrong with the toe but I truly think at this point that it is dislocated. Does it look like this would require surgery to fix?? The vet isnā€™t available until Monday unfortunately. Since it doesnā€™t seem to interfere with his behavior at all then I donā€™t mind waiting but itā€™s still nerve racking

OP
kimbell

kimbell

Nov 17, 2015
Austin, Texas
Parrots
Pico - yellow sided GCC
Also: Upon looking closer in daylight, the toe is slightly purple with bruising. but itā€™s not much darker than his normal color

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
It could be dislocated if you see some bruising, 95% of the time with either a fracture or a dislocation there's going to be some bruising and/or swelling. It's a good idea to take him in if you think that's the case, asap, as he'll need a plain-film x-ray to see what's going on.

As far as surgery, it all depends on what is going on, but in a bird so small with such small bones they typically will simply set it and splint/cast it for 4-6 weeks. Hopefully it's not a fracture where they would want to put a pin in it. If it's a dislocated toe, I would think based on the tiny size of their toe bones that they would simply reduce it and splint it...

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Aww poor Pico! You were right to contact your AV. If there is bruising, it's best to get checked. Good catch! Best of luck and give a scratch to Pico for me.

Last edited:

jeninec11769

Nov 8, 2021
california
Parrots
Paulie and Phoebe GCC
Hi! I know this is years back, but this recently happend to my baby and Iā€™m wondering how ur birby turned out ?
Paulie has now been 1 month in recovery and Iā€™m still having trouble with him

Most Reactions

Latest posts