Conure 'vibrating' beak against hand

pixelandmort

Nov 16, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Nanday Conure
I'm new to having a bird and I had some trouble with Mort (Nanday conure) being aggressive at first, especially towards hands. He's warmed up to me and especially my dad and he has started rubbing his beak against our fingers. He will come up to our bent knuckle and rub the side of his beak against it. He almost vibrates his head up and down pretty fast, and once in awhile he will do it against his favorite rope toy. I just want to make sure this isn't a different aggressive behavior. He doesn't show any other signs of aggression when he does it. Thanks in advance! :green:

Iholm5

Apr 22, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Proud parront to...
Tiki (U2), Zelda (GCC), Bender (Tiel), Pickles (Parrotlet), Pax (IRN), Goku (Sun), Jack (Caique), Moko (Crested Gecko), Goose (Red Lored Amazon)
I wouldn't be overly concerned. My Zelda (GCC) does this a lot, particularly when there's something hard on the side of her beak, like my nails. I think it may have something to do with her beak itching, or it may be some strange grooming stuff. She has done it for years.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Skittles will 'vibrate' the side of his beak against my fingernails. It's likely your bird is just using you as a scratchpost.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I feel it's almost like a courting behavior in what they're doing cause the conures I had years ago did the same as these two that I have now is doing it too.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
That's what I think it is too. You will find your bird will try to preen you as well. They're very reciprocal.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yes mine preen my hair on the back of my head all the time. I didn't know I would ever have conures again until these two came along, it's like a learning experience all over again with conures.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It sounds like a feeding behavior... like he's bringing up food from his crop.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@MikeyTN Skittles loves to rub the side of his head against my beard as well as chest hair. I normally don't care to have facial hair, but he likes it so I keep it. The only thing I don't like is when he tries to pluck them, which is not a pleasant feeling! :)

I was strictly a budgie and cockatiel guy until Skittles came along and stole my heart. Now, I don't think I could ever go outside of conures for another bird, if I ever did that is. If I had my own house where living space and neighbors would not be an issue (like they are in an apt. building) I would DEFINITELY own a too and a B&G because I could ensure that Skittles would get all his needs met. But in a small apt. like I have, I'm limited. I once owned 9 birds (mostly rescues) and while I loved being able to do that, the work involved was more an issue than space and it got overwhelming. I have tremendous respect for those that do run rescues cause it is NOT an easy job by far.

@Birdman666 That's when the regurgitate. It almost looks like they are having a seizure, not like vibrating. Skittles will lean forward to the point where the slope of his back is on an even plane and then he will 'vibrate', though more like tremors. It means he wants to come out.

OP
P

pixelandmort

Nov 16, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Nanday Conure
He just started to do it again but now holding my finger in his mouth. It doesn't coincidence with when he's feeding or anything else, so it doesn't seem like it is related to food in his crop but it could be. Thanks everyone!

ceegull

Nov 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Sun conure and a Green cheek conure
My sun and green cheek conure do this, they grab each others beaks and 'vibrate' up and down fast. I believe its a buddy thing telling each other they like each other. They will try it with my fingers too. Caiques do it alot and real hard and fast. Saw vids and researched this behaviour. Its a good thing. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts