conures and children

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
So I have 2 human babies as well as JJ and I am trying to figure out a good way to help them bond with JJ. My children are 5&7 and when we brought JJ home they wanted to hold her but her nails bother their arms.

Is there anything else I can do? Have them play special games with her or anything? Eventually they will be at an age where they will be comfortable holding her so I want her to be ok with them now.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Have them play peak a boo with JJ. Birds love peak a boo. They can hide under blankets, behind furniture or under the table with JJ on top of the table. They can also sing and dance for JJ.

If JJ isn't biting they can also hand her treats. They might also be good for helping JJ learn to talk. Birds seem to respond better to the higher voices of women and children (not all of them, but many do).

Lukask

Dec 9, 2011
Minnesota
Parrots
Luna- GCC, Stella- Caique
I hope you have more luck then I did! Luna seems to understand that she can push kids around to get what she wants. She bit my 5 year old niece pretty hard on the hand. Now my niece is afraid of her. :(

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

Well so far today atleast she seems pretty good, I am teaching the children not to be too crazy around her. She seems to like to fly into people's hair so I'm also teaching my daughter if she does that to remain calm don't scream or run. And my daughter picked up on that after about the 3rd time she stood still and waited for me to get the bird out of her hair.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
JJ might not mind if the kids are a little crazy. Maybe not the first few days, but Rowdy seems to love kids running around and jumping and yelling. My other 2 birds, not so much though! But, conures seem to enjoy crazy.

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

Also what do you do with obnoxious kids around your birds. My daughter had her friend over yesterday and I ended up not only shutting her cage doors but using the little locks from my daughter's diary to keep them closed. The girl kept sticking her hand in and chasing poor JJ around. Even after I told her twice, than shut the doors, than yelled twice.

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
That little girl is in for a world of hurt when she sticks her hand in the wrong birds cage lol. Either of my little birds would have given her a nice bite. It sounds like she wasnt raised with pets or been taught how to act with them. Ive seen kids in pet stores poking and slapping the birds cages while their parent is just a few feet away, makes me so angry. I would suggest making sure the bird is in a room off limits to the kids friends until you know how they will interact with them. If they can't obey the rules in your home, then you can either speak to the child's parent or not allow them in your home.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
That's awful about your childs friend. I would explain to them that if they behave that way they will not be welcome in your home anymore.

As for your kids not liking the nails on their arm, as long as JJ is good with them you could just have them wear long sleves. Sometimes Peppers nails get to me a bit. I have a button up long sleve shirt I keep nearby to put on to cover my arms. I haven't worn it lately so a couple days ago when I gave blood I had to explain what the little scratch marks on my arm were lol. The shirt is also good to throw on if I'm wearing something I don't want pooped on. (Like my work clothes if I'm headed to work)

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

Yeah I guess we'll have to shut her in the computer room next time the girls come over to play to keep her safe. I know they have animals at home, atleast 5 cats and 2-3 dogs apparently she just wasn't taught the right way to interact with them.

Yeah JJ's nails get to me big time so i'll have to start wearing sleeves my whole arms are scratched up from her climbing up my arms to get to my shoulder.

Most Reactions

Latest posts