Conures and electronics

WhirlyBirdy

Dec 15, 2013
australia
Parrots
Sun conure and Yellow sided green cheek
I have heard alot about conues hating electronc devices, there a videos on youtube the show conures trying to kill phones and cameras and the like but my sun conure seems to love tapping at my ipad, he enjoys pressing down the buttons on the laptops in the house the onlymelectronic device he hasn'tlike is the duck shaped radio which freaks him out. Ayway my question is, most people seem to avoid using computers or ipad or phones around the birds, is it because it is bad for the bird or because some birds think they have own ownership over tweeting?

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
I don't think it is bad for them, but it might be bad for the gadget once they start chomping down on it ^.^

And I don't think they hate the devices..I think they just see their human interact with it so they want in on the fun too .. they are little busybodies!!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
For Skittles, it's any 'new or unfamiliar' device or object that gets him going. He used to raise hell every time I opened a DVD until I brought one over to him and showed it to him and said in a soft voice 'its okay'. He doesn't act out anymore with dvds.

Skittles has chewed through several headphone cords and even halfway through a lamp wire. He does like my keyboard, however. I find he rarely lets me do anything 'by myself' when he is out. I can't even use the bathroom by myself, he HAS to keep watch by the door. It doesn't help that he sticks his tongue out and wags it whenever he hears liquid pouring if you get my drift.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I don't hold back on using the common electronic devices around my sun (computer, smartphone, tv, etcetera). Although I have wondered if smartphones signals and wifi have some sort of negative effect on them. In the world we live in though, these things are just unavoidable unless you live like an Amish person.

My sun also has a thing for cables and cords. I just make sure those are out of reach. It's amazing how he can strip a wire like a pro (I don't allow it, that was before I realized he obsessed over them). For some miraculous reason, he leaves my mouse wire alone though even when he is tripping all over it in my desk. Strange! What he really goes nuts for these days are my white iphone headphones. He'd fly from anywhere in the room if he sees it lying around lol! Birds will be birds! :D

Last edited:

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I would assume if wireless signals and so on affected birds negatively we'd know it. They'd act out strangely (like they do when storms are coming) and most especially their flying would be out of control. I have several cordless phones and numerous wireless devices in my living room, two of which are right near Skittles cage and he is probably the best flier I have ever seen. I've seen him hover in flight and do complete 180s in the smallest of spaces so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

If you have a laptop or cell phone you may want to keep tap on your bills and limits. I hear parrots like to sneak onto birdie websites when mamma and papa are away. I turn my PC off when I leave so Skittles won't order off of Amazon.

ErichT

Jan 5, 2014
Media
Spring Hill,Florida
Parrots
Mango - Sun Conure
Kiwi- Green Cheek Conure
Mango loves the Laptop. She likes to see how many Key caps she can get off before my wife stops her:). She also loves to watch herself in the built in video camera .My kids will sit on the couch and watch shows on their Ipods and Mango and Kiwi will both be watching and listening from the cage over their shoulders.Then of course i leave the TV on for them when we all have to go to work,school and such.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
My conure tries to kill my phone. He probably thinks I'm cuddling it to my face and talking. Texting around him is out of the question. I had to get rid of the case because he bit out big chunks. He's made peace with my iPad, especially since I turned it (with case) upside down, creating a tent-shaped fort, and run a koi pond app. So when he's inside it's like he's in his own bright, fish tank...with bird sounds. :)

Most Reactions