MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Hi Everyone :)
I am just thinking ahead a little here and I seem to only be able to get generalized info from the net on this question...
We got a green cheek conure a few weeks ago and live in S. California but at a higher elevation so it is sometimes very cold here. Occasional snow.
I am curious as to my conures ability to deal with the colder months.
What is the room temperature in the winter where your birds cage is?
What is the coldest safe temperature for my bird?
As there are just two of us, we do not heat the entire house, and sometimes just a space heater in our bedroom on the coldest nights.
I know I could move the cage into the bedroom at night but I'd rather not if i don't have to.
Thanks for your answers.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
We keep our house at 68, sometimes the bird room gets a little chillier since it has big windows and doors (though not that much, we live in Phoenix..).

I bought [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Sand-Thermo-Perch-Small/dp/B00CLA19I4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404607975&sr=8-2&keywords=heated+perch"]heated perches[/ame] for all the birdies and they love, love, love them. They also sell a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Snuggle-Warmer-Medium-Large/dp/B00CLA19BQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404607911&sr=8-1&keywords=bird+heater"]cage/wall mounted heated.. block[/ame]? Not sure what to call it. Can't give you my opinion on that since it really doesn't get cold enough here for me to feel like we needed one -- but I can't speak highly enough about the heated perches.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The thing you have to look at is what the parrot is acclimated to. Parrots who live in an outdoor aviary in cold climates, while they are given protection from the elements, are still exposed to surprisingly cold temperatures and are fine.

Of course your Larry is not acclimated to extremes, but as the months get into winter and the days get progressively colder here, he will be doing some gradual acclimating too. My avian vet has written an article where he says a general guideline is to keep the temp from fluctuating more than around 15 degrees within 24 hours. We used to only use a space heater at night.

OP
MrsKay

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Canary (Norman)
Thank you for this information Selestine and RavensGryf.
I appreciate your responses. I don't believe I will worry as much now.
I will be sure he is acclimated slowly and not drastically.
I looked at the heated perches and warmers and that is definitely something I will consider this coming fall :)
I did keep parakeets outside in an aviary for nearly 20 years and they were fine even with snow on the ground, but seems to me I remember having more problems when I kept one of them indoors. I do not use my central air conditioning and heating. We prefer a water cooler on hot days and a pellet stove in the family room/kitchen in the winter. The pellet stove is shut down at bedtime.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I know it's slightly off the subject, but I just thought I'd mention an air purifier too. I just started using one, and it makes me wonder why I hadn't ever done it before. I LOVE IT! I have a Honeywell 060 series HEPA and it was under $80. It's a small one though. For a bedroom or bird room or office size. Works so nice... The air just seems so clean and fresh even when window and door is closed. Makes a humming noise which is the only drawback.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I live in a basement suite in Saskatchewan, Canada, and let's just say it's winter 8 months out of the year. We've never once had birdsicle incidents, and we only use a small heater. I've never used heated perches for fear of burning the bottom of their feet, but I find that as long as you give your bird something to warm themselves up with (a fleece corner, fleece ring, snuggle hut) that you monitor, they tend to moderate their own temperatures just fine.

I just always think that if I feel I need a sweater, my birds probably feel that way too. So I adjust temperatures accordingly.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I just always think that if I feel I need a sweater, my birds probably feel that way too. So I adjust temperatures accordingly.

This is also how I judge what they can handle. If it's cold and I'm uncomfortable enough to need extra layers, I make sure my birds have a chance to get warm as well.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
As long as it is a gradual drop, and the bird is out of direct drafts, they can tolerate down in the mid-60's comfortably. It is always nice for them to provide a "snuggle hut" or similar cozy thing they can cuddle up to:) Never tried the "heated" perches, but our bird loves snuggling in his hut during the winter.

One thing you should always keep in mind is a plan of how to keep your bird warm in case of a power outage if you don't have an alternate source of heat. In an emergency, a parrot may even be able to handle down to the 50s, but any colder, you'd have to get them somewhere warm or face a very serious risk to their life/health.

OP
MrsKay

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Canary (Norman)
Thank you Selestine, Dinosrawr, witchbaby, Kiwibird, Ravensgryf, for your excellent advice :) You have really helped ease my mind concerning Larry's abode in the winter months. He does have a tent but I think it's too much bigger than him to hold any body heat. I will get him a smaller model for sure.
RavensGryf, years ago I used a large Panasonic hepa air purifier for a while but then I stopped using it. I don't remember why. I don't have it anymore and I don't remember what I did with it (if anyone finds a loose screw laying around, it's probably mine hahaha).
I'm sure it would have helped with keeping the air healthy for my Larry.

Most Reactions