Cookie 1991-2016

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Deepest condolences for your loss of Cookie, I'm so very sorry. I'm glad Cookie's last days were happy ones, I hope all the sweet memories will comfort you.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I was feeding the birds on autopilot this morning. I got to the spot where Cookie's cage was* and burst into tears all over again. It's just so weird and awful to not see him and hear him. The morning birdie chorus is so quiet. He and Leo would always sing loudly to greet the sun. Leo didn't sing much this morning.

*I couldn't handle seeing the empty cage so MrC moved it into storage.

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
I was feeding the birds on autopilot this morning. I got to the spot where Cookie's cage was* and burst into tears all over again. It's just so weird and awful to not see him and hear him. The morning birdie chorus is so quiet. He and Leo would always sing loudly to greet the sun. Leo didn't sing much this morning.

*I couldn't handle seeing the empty cage so MrC moved it into storage.

Big hugs! We are all thinking about you! I know it's one of those things that requires time to heal, but if there is anything we can do let us know!

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Thanks. I appreciate it. I think this is just going to be a time thing. Cookie was so old, so this was not unexpected, but when reality hits you, it's just hard. The changes in routine and just missing his general presence are going to take some getting used to. I find myself seriously contemplating bringing home the bare eyed cockatoo I'm visiting earlier than planned, but then give myself a reality check in regards to upsetting Charlotte. I'm sure I'll be fine in a few days (though still sad). It's just that this first morning of not feeding him was rough.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I'm soo sorry for your lose. know you have friends here if you want to talk..sending you a big hug,

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
I am so very sorry for your loss. From reading your posts, I have gotten to "know" your flock and it is easy to see how much a part of your life Cookie was and how much he was loved. There will always be a hole in your heart from his loss - but I guarantee that where only tears fall one day a small bright little light will shine through that will bring a smile to your face - a thought of Cookie that will bring a lingering happy memory. That is the beginning of healing. I have been there and done that with many beloved furries who have shared my life.

Sending healing hugs and prayers.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Today in the mail I got a sympathy card from my vet's office, signed by the entire staff. It's just a pretty nice paper stock with the "Rainbow Bridge" poem, and then "In loving memory of Cookie" printed on the bottom, but still, what a nice gesture. I was smiling and crying all at the same time.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Thanks. I appreciate it. I think this is just going to be a time thing. Cookie was so old, so this was not unexpected, but when reality hits you, it's just hard. The changes in routine and just missing his general presence are going to take some getting used to. I find myself seriously contemplating bringing home the bare eyed cockatoo I'm visiting earlier than planned, but then give myself a reality check in regards to upsetting Charlotte. I'm sure I'll be fine in a few days (though still sad). It's just that this first morning of not feeding him was rough.
Sorry for your loss. The hurt is deeper because you were intimately involved and Cookie was literally a part of you thru routine and caretaking. And although the pain is real, it's also a validation of your relationship. A badge of honor if you will. The pain will soften over time. The others will begin acting normally again, and then the softer, more liberating memories will be what's left. Thanks for your commitment to help Cookie finish the race with dignity and love.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Most Reactions