Cookware.

djkoe

Mar 10, 2016
Looked into safe cookware for birds. Ended up picking this pan up but I want to get your opinions on it before using it. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_9758.jpg
    IMG_9758.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 205

Quakerella

Apr 2, 2012
Canada
Parrots
3 quakers, 2 indian ringnecks, 6 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, 1 budgie, 1 eastern rosella
Sorry, wish I could help. I have never seen this pan before. Will see if I can find out any information though. Hopefully someone else can give you a clear answer.

OP
D

djkoe

Mar 10, 2016
The main thing I was looking for was a pan that's ptfe and pfoa free. Which is this one.

OP
D

djkoe

Mar 10, 2016
Ty, still unsure if this pan is safe for her.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Looked into safe cookware for birds. Ended up picking this pan up but I want to get your opinions on it before using it. Thank you.

Can't read the label. Could you post the details, name, manufacturer, online for sale link?

In my experience, nonstick pans have limited usefulness. You still have to use some oil, or things will stick, and they become less non-sticky over time. I have mostly good quality stainless steel pans. Heat them over moderate heat, then add oil and cook, and nothing sticks. If you find that meats are sticking, it often means they weren't ready to flip yet and if you wait a bit you find they magically release. If you do burn something into stainless, a soak in water loosens almost everything for easy washing. Some can go in the dishwasher if there isn't copper trim, etc. And if you scour every few years or whatever with Bon-Ami etc, they are mirror new! SS pans last forever and are a good investment. You want ones with thick bases and sides, and I find them often in thrift stores.

Another choice is a well-seasoned cast iron skillet - they also last forever forever, are truly absolutely non-stick, you just have to give them a tiny bit more care. I have exactly one non-stick pan that is used for poaching fish, mostly because it has a glass lid and is the right size, but I wouldn't miss it if I had to do without.

Last edited:
OP
D

djkoe

Mar 10, 2016

Can't read the label. Could you post the details, name, manufacturer, online for sale link?

In my experience, nonstick pans have limited usefulness. You still have to use some oil, or things will stick, and they become less non-sticky over time. I have mostly good quality stainless steel pans. Heat them over moderate heat, then add oil and cook, and nothing sticks. If you find that meats are sticking, it often means they weren't ready to flip yet and if you wait a bit you find they magically release. If you do burn something into stainless, a soak in water loosens almost everything for easy washing. Some can go in the dishwasher if there isn't copper trim, etc. And if you scour every few years or whatever with Bon-Ami etc, they are mirror new! SS pans last forever and are a good investment. You want ones with thick bases and sides, and I find them often in thrift stores.

Another choice is a well-seasoned cast iron skillet - they also last forever forever, are truly absolutely non-stick, you just have to give them a tiny bit more care. I have exactly one non-stick pan that is used for poaching fish, mostly because it has a glass lid and is the right size, but I wouldn't miss it if I had to do without.

https://www.amazon.ca/Starfrit-EcoCopper-Frypan-11-in/dp/B01LXRXV1P

this is it, but the label on it says PTFE & PFOA free.

Reni

Sep 9, 2016
Media
Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Two cockatiels and a Green Cheek Conure.
With birds in the house, I wouldn't try any of these so said 'non-stick' pans. 'Something' must be added to make them non-stick, and that may well be something chemical.
Nothing beats stainless steel pans. Or cast iron for people who prefer these.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
I couldn't find information about this particular pan on the Starfrit website. Perhaps it is discontinued? I have also bought too many items on Amazon that turned out to be counterfeit and poor quality. I found an explanation for a similar Sterfrit product that explains how the non-Teflon coatings work, and it makes sense to me. Also explains why after enough time many of these pans turn suddenly non-stick: something fills in the gaps. I'd avoid those spray oils, many contain silicone and it ruins nonstick pans. Here's the blurb from Starfrit:
===========
Here’s how it works: Tiny metal pellets are projected against the surface of the pan. As they impact the metal, a dimpled texture forms on the surface of the cookware that hardens into a rock-like finish. This permanent surface enhancement gives your cookware continued durability, better non-stick capabilities and increased corrosion resistance.

When you’re cooking, the dimpled texture creates micro air pockets between the pan and your food that results in a natural non-stick release that’s three times better than traditional non-stick coatings. Cleanup is easy – all you need to do is give it a quick wipe. Plus, it offers you all the benefits of stainless steel and cast iron cookware: It’s tough enough to withstand high heat, and its scratch-resistant surface is safe for metal utensils.

Unlike other speckled non-stick pans, which are just coated with paint that can scratch off if you use metal utensils, you can feel the difference created by Starfrit’s Rock.Tec technology just by touching the inside bottom of the pan. The permanent finish, which is similar to the texture of an orange peel, won’t wear off. And while traditional non-stick cookware could be dangerous when exposed to high heats, pans treated with Starfrit’s Rock.Tec technology are safe in the oven up to a broil.

OP
D

djkoe

Mar 10, 2016
I couldn't find information about this particular pan on the Starfrit website. Perhaps it is discontinued? I have also bought too many items on Amazon that turned out to be counterfeit and poor quality. I found an explanation for a similar Sterfrit product that explains how the non-Teflon coatings work, and it makes sense to me. Also explains why after enough time many of these pans turn suddenly non-stick: something fills in the gaps. I'd avoid those spray oils, many contain silicone and it ruins nonstick pans. Here's the blurb from Starfrit:
===========
Here’s how it works: Tiny metal pellets are projected against the surface of the pan. As they impact the metal, a dimpled texture forms on the surface of the cookware that hardens into a rock-like finish. This permanent surface enhancement gives your cookware continued durability, better non-stick capabilities and increased corrosion resistance.

When you’re cooking, the dimpled texture creates micro air pockets between the pan and your food that results in a natural non-stick release that’s three times better than traditional non-stick coatings. Cleanup is easy – all you need to do is give it a quick wipe. Plus, it offers you all the benefits of stainless steel and cast iron cookware: It’s tough enough to withstand high heat, and its scratch-resistant surface is safe for metal utensils.

Unlike other speckled non-stick pans, which are just coated with paint that can scratch off if you use metal utensils, you can feel the difference created by Starfrit’s Rock.Tec technology just by touching the inside bottom of the pan. The permanent finish, which is similar to the texture of an orange peel, won’t wear off. And while traditional non-stick cookware could be dangerous when exposed to high heats, pans treated with Starfrit’s Rock.Tec technology are safe in the oven up to a broil.

Thank you very much I greatly appreciate the help everyone is giving me. So is every kind of cast iron pan safe?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
Yes. In fact you can find them very cheaply at thrift stores. The pans must be seasoned properly. Here's how I do it - without a bird anywhere near. I bought a nice old pan with quite a bit of rust on the surface,but no pitting. I put it in the oven and ran the clean cycle. When all was cool, I had a light gray pan with some powdery rust in the bottom which washed right out. I heated the clean pan up on the stovetop, and when it was very hot, and I mean very hot, I took it off the heat, picked up a wad of paper towels with a tong, dipped them in safflower oil - there are lots of recommended oils and it's not that critical - and rubbed that all around inside. Smoked like all get out and left a shiny black coating. I repeated the process until it looked like I had a good, black, solid shiny coating. This coating is actually a layer of pure carbon. It fills the gaps in the pan, creating a very even surface. Pure carbon is quite non-stick as well - just try to glue something to a pencil lead and see. Now that you have the good coating, just heat up the pan over moderate heat, add a small amount of oil and cook your thing. Cooked food should slide right out, including fried eggs. If not you might be using too low heat or flipping food too soon. I don't cook watery things, or acidic things, in the skillet. To clean it I wash with water, scrub with something I'd use for a nonstick pan, dry it at once and even put it over low heat to make sure all the moisture is evaporated. These pans last forever, can be reseasoned any time if needed and don't put any synthetic chemicals into your food. Can't recommend them highly enough, especially when you want a nice crust on your cornbread!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Ceramic can be safe around birds so long that it's PTFE and PFOA free. In case of any other concerns, I would contact the manufacturers and ask if any PTFE is used I between the pans as its sometimes between the layers, but the top layer is free so they can market it as such. You also need to be sure there's no silicone either, because that's just as hugely hazardous when heated around birds.

Cast iron, aluminum, and stainless steel are all great alternatives to ceramic though. The only problem with cast iron pans is if you have a glass stove top. It's possible to damage the glass if you use one on it. Some people never have problems, other people have had their glass crack upon first use.

Most Reactions

Latest posts