Walking your Conure

Arruna

Nov 8, 2016
Hey all,

Do any of your walk your conures outside on a harness? Any recommendations on which one to use?
:rainbow1:
TYIA

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Yes, all the time, I like the Aviator and the FlightSuit.
cf7ff725018a818481ffe593f4886f18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
lol mine walk on the ground sometimes, but usually they ride on my shoulder or head
682dc63b24eaab00c4cefa5a35b41702.jpg

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
I want to so badly but I am scared to. I fear he will hate the harness and I fear he might freak out and hurt himself.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
He will freak out unless you take the time to TRAIN him to wear it. The Aviator comes with a training DVD; follow every step. It took me about 8 months to train Flick to wear it.

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
I would love to get JellyBean to wear it... I followed the DVD to the letter, practising all the moves, and gently and slowly put it on. He was not a happy bird, would not at all tolerate it! Now, when he sees it - he ruffles up his feathers and glares at me. I have tried putting it in his cage - associating it with treats - nothing. Any other advice?

Someone else mentioned to me that I should just put it on him and let him work through it.. but I don't think that that sounds like the right thing to do..

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Lets see -- I been working with Salty , who is am amazingly smart Amazon, for oh say 10 months, and are still not there. He will wear it , just not the part that goes under his wings. He HATES his wings touched. I been trying to desensitize him about that when we play rough, but its a slow go. He will stick his head into the head loop or stall, and let me drape the rest over his body. He can be a stubborn boy sometimes, but I am stubbornener and better at making up words, too!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Each part is its own trained skill. You need to train each step as it's own skill. If you put it on him while he still hated it, then you didn't really follow each step. Clicker training is helpful for this.

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
Lets see -- I been working with Salty , who is am amazingly smart Amazon, for oh say 10 months, and are still not there. He will wear it , just not the part that goes under his wings. He HATES his wings touched. I been trying to desensitize him about that when we play rough, but its a slow go. He will stick his head into the head loop or stall, and let me drape the rest over his body. He can be a stubborn boy sometimes, but I am stubbornener and better at making up words, too!

Well, if you look on YouTube there's a video of a parrot who's folks are trying to get him to get his harness. The bird resorts to naughty words (which is why I don't post it here cuz I don't really know how much trouble I might get in) to express his feelings regarding the harness.

Somehow this is how I picture Salty.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I'm stuck in the same place Al is. Parker will put his head through no priblem, but getting to where I can manipulate the wings and put the harness around is impossible. And he's panicked a few times. I'm to the point where I can't stomach dealing with the potential hazards of him panicking while halfway in the harness. Too much anxiety.

So I got a Pak O bird :) harness more ideal but Parker is too typical an ekkie, don't you dare touch him anywhere.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I'm stuck in the same place Al is. Parker will put his head through no priblem, but getting to where I can manipulate the wings and put the harness around is impossible. And he's panicked a few times. I'm to the point where I can't stomach dealing with the potential hazards of him panicking while halfway in the harness. Too much anxiety.

So I got a Pak O bird :) harness more ideal but Parker is too typical an ekkie, don't you dare touch him anywhere.

I LOVE THOSE!! Great option for birds who don't do harnesses :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
The smallest size

Most Reactions