Corner Cages

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I don't really see much point in a corner cage. I'm not saying that they are bad or anything, but the standard square/rectangular cages fit in corners too so they aren't necessary.

They certainly do fit into corners, however, if I were to shuff either of my cages into a corner, I would not be able to use the 2 food dishes on the side that is pushed up against the wall, unless I'd be willing to push them back and forth each time I needed one of those food cups. :cool:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I was wondering if anybody purchased a corner cage and decided they didn't want to keep it in a corner any longer and moved it elsewhere. Knowing myself, I would get tired of it being in one location.

OP
TessieB

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Thanks for the info and the geometry lesson. :) I'm still looking for that perfect cage for my two old ladies. (There are not that old). I'd like to find one with a play area on top as they like to come out during the morning and afternoon chores to serenade me while I work. They are currently living in a 30 or so year old cage designed for a Macaw. Takes three people to lift it. And while it gives the gals plenty of room to move around, the bar spacing is a bit wide, and there are spots of rust I'm concerned about.

Thanks again!

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I was wondering if anybody purchased a corner cage and decided they didn't want to keep it in a corner any longer and moved it elsewhere. Knowing myself, I would get tired of it being in one location.

There are 4 corners in a room :09: Of course it can't be put in as many places as a rectangle cage, but can still be moved!

And like Wendy said, you can't put a rectangle cage in the corner, because then you can't reach the food dishes ;) So it has its location limitations as well! :)

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon

If you can put any other cage there, you can put a corner cage there.
There is absolutely no difference between a standard rectangular cage and a corner cage that would limit where you could put it.

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
And like Wendy said, you can't put a rectangle cage in the corner, because then you can't reach the food dishes ;) So it has its location limitations as well! :)

:confused:
What Wendy said was limited to her situation and her cages. Others will undoubtedly have similar situations, but it most certainly is not a universal fact.

My amazon's cage has been in the same corner for almost 14 years. I can reach his food dishes just as well as if the cage were in the middle of the room. The same goes for his water bottle which is between the cage and the wall. And the ability to reach the dishes in any of the other three cages in use and the 7 empty cages would also be completely unaffected by putting them in a corner.

and FWIW, just because a cage comes with dishes and a place for them, doesn't mean you have to use them.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Of course! But alot of rectangle cages i have seen have the 2 on each side.. I usually never see new models with them at the front! They are designed on sides

I was just stating that some rectangle cages can not be put in a corner.. thats all :S

And i know that...

I have the 4 dishes, and i removed one and put it at the top, and only 2 are used... The other 2 have nothing ;) I am so clever

Kimma

Oct 11, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Flash - DF violet Indian Ringneck. Crash - lutino Indian Ringneck
Speaking of geometry... the closer a shape is to a circle, the more surface are you get for length of side.

For eg a rectangle that is 2x4 feet has an area of 8 square feet, but if it were a square of 3x3 it'd have an area of 9 square feet. And a pentagon with 12 feet of side will have a greater but more difficult to calculate surface area. (if it's a regular pentagon, which cages aren't. it'd be 9.91 square feet.) Or alternatively, you could have less side for the same surface area, so it requires less building material overall.

And of course you get a greater distance between the closest walls, but less distance between the furthest walls.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Speaking of geometry... the closer a shape is to a circle, the more surface are you get for length of side.

For eg a rectangle that is 2x4 feet has an area of 8 square feet, but if it were a square of 3x3 it'd have an area of 9 square feet. And a pentagon with 12 feet of side will have a greater but more difficult to calculate surface area. (if it's a regular pentagon, which cages aren't. it'd be 9.91 square feet.) Or alternatively, you could have less side for the same surface area, so it requires less building material overall.

And of course you get a greater distance between the closest walls, but less distance between the furthest walls.

Oh, my head is spinning. I hated math and geometry in school. lol.

I think corner cages are great, but they are not for me. I have large pieces of furniture so corner space is not available.

I think with two sides protected, they would allow the birds to feel secure from predators.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
One thing I do with my square cages is I have them about 6" from the side wall so I can still get to bowls. All my cages are in a corner. The cage is still close enough to the wall to give the birds a safe corner feel but far enough for me to access the bowls.

Just my solution to the bowl issue. ;)

I find corner cages can be higher in price so that is something to think about.

I can see how corner cages can be easier and if you do your research you can get a better price. Great links Wendy the link queen! ;)

Also you can put a square/rectangular cage diagonal in the corner as well. That would help with the bowl access as well.

Last edited:

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
The forum is a place to share opinions.

Not to criticize and always be right.

There are pros and cons for both type cages. Its OK to share that opinion and can be done without criticism. IMHO. :D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks for the info and the geometry lesson. :) I'm still looking for that perfect cage for my two old ladies. (There are not that old). I'd like to find one with a play area on top as they like to come out during the morning and afternoon chores to serenade me while I work. They are currently living in a 30 or so year old cage designed for a Macaw. Takes three people to lift it. And while it gives the gals plenty of room to move around, the bar spacing is a bit wide, and there are spots of rust I'm concerned about.

Thanks again!

Tessie, which two "older ladies" are you talking about? :eek: What type of parrots, I mean. Sorry if I missed that somewhere..... :(

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA

If you can put any other cage there, you can put a corner cage there.
There is absolutely no difference between a standard rectangular cage and a corner cage that would limit where you could put it.

I think a corner cage would look odd against a regular straight wall which is why I inquired if anybody used one elsewhere. If one had a dedicated bird room it probably wouldn't make a difference, but I am not so lucky.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I have Dexter, my YCA in the first cage that Wendy posted, and he loves it! We have an avain light on his cage, and he has so much room in there. If I had the room, I would put all my guys in one of their own.
Here is a pic as we were in the process of moving him. The cage next to it was his old cage. He now has alot more toys, we have had to add 1 at a time as they freak him out, same thing with new perches..lol
553918_10152022105984693_346304639_n.jpg

Your bird looks so small in that cage. What size is it and what does it look like now that you put all your toys in it? My amazon has a 40x30" cage and he doesn't even use half the space.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
His cage is 5 foot wide at the widest and 4 feet deep from the door to the back. He now has 7 toys (which he ignores most of the time) and several more perches, added a little at a time as anything new in his cage stresses him. He was raised in a large aviary, so makes use of all the room. He is always climbing from one side of the cage to the other, although he doesn't go to the bottom. It is large for him, but he seems so much happier than he was when we first got him. I will post more pics as soon as I can get them taken, I desperately need a new camera!

Birdy916

Banned
Banned
Oct 12, 2013
Love the corner cage my conure now lives in, traded for some labor at the rescue where I got him from, so the price was right...

The only thing I didnt like was that my bird could now do his "morning poop" all over 2 walls instead of just 1... ;)
So I fixed that with some shower wall replacement panels I had from another project... solved!

The corner cage looks nice and neat tucked between the windows, and allowed me to make a nice play setup in front of a window without having to keep the cage infront of the window full-time(which would have Pirate screaming all day Id wager)

I am saving up to buy another bigger corner cage for my other bird...

I really like the corner cages, and if it works well for the space you have, you cant beat the way they look!

Here is the whole setup...

Closer...

It has a playtop/Landing strip...

And the ladder leads to the window play area, where Pirate loves to eat his fruits and chomp on wood!(that mess is just yesterday and today)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Love your setup and his cage is cool:)

OP
TessieB

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
What a neat set-up! Thanks for sharing. I needed to see pictures of this cage with a bird to help get an idea of the size.

OP
TessieB

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots

Thanks again!

Tessie, which two "older ladies" are you talking about? :eek: What type of parrots, I mean. Sorry if I missed that somewhere..... :(

They are a yellow-head Amazon and a Blue Front Amazon. They are supposed to be six and eight years old, but they act like two old ladies gossiping while shuffling along the top of the cage.

Most Reactions