Covering cage when parrot is alone

RamonM

Jul 3, 2019
Aloha,

I cover my green cheek conureā€™s cage at night. Is it ok to cover it during the day when no human is around (until 2pm)?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Why would you do that? Seems pretty , well, cruel. WHy can;t you uncover him in the morning?

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
There is no need to keep his cage covered when he is alone. All creatures need light and to be aware of their surroundings when awake. Please leave his cage uncovered.

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
Blueheaded Pionus-born May 2019
How many hours would the cage be covered? If it's 12-14 hours it may not be a terrible idea since he would get good sleep but imo the cage should be uncovered at some point in the morning.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
No, absolutely do not do that.
A bird's hormones and immune health are directly tied to light cycles. NEVER cover a bird just because it is alone. Your bird should never be covered for any reason other than sleep and darkness should never exceed 12-14 hours of actual sleep time..14 being too much for most birds (other than some of the equatorial species like cockatoos).
That having been said, 12 hours of dark, uninterrupted sleep= very important.
They must have sunlight/daylight--if you already cover for 10 hours at night and then are planning to add that on, you will have some nasty behavior issues and a very unhealthy (and unhappy) bird.

Last edited:
OP
R

RamonM

Jul 3, 2019
No, absolutely do not do that.
A bird's hormones and immune health are directly tied to light cycles. NEVER cover a bird just because it is alone. Your bird should never be covered for any reason other than sleep and darkness should never exceed 12-14 hours of actual sleep time..14 being too much for most birds (other than some of the equatorial species like cockatoos).
That having been said, 12 hours of dark, uninterrupted sleep= very important.
They must have sunlight/daylight--if you already cover for 10 hours at night and then are planning to add that on, you will have some nasty behavior issues and a very unhealthy (and unhappy) bird.

Thank you. Absolutely no cruelty intended. The purpose of thinking of covering her was twofold: (a) minimize her stress when we are gone (my dogs suffer from separation anxiety, I want to spare Coco Bird that). (b) she gets covered around 8pm and uncovered at 7am, I wanted her to get more sleep.

I tried an experiment yesterday (a day off for me), I stayed quietly upstairs whilst my daughter, who Coco is bonded with, was at school. Coco did quiet down. So sheā€™s only agitated when we are around and not giving her attention. Another thing is I leave her with the two dogs in the living room (they rather be upstairs whilst we are not around), she likes having those two members of her flock around too. Theyā€™ve accepted her as part of their pack, who they are forbidden from touching and who joins them in their barking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions