Covid 19 and Conures...

Qckslvr

Aug 2, 2020
San Jose
Parrots
Sun Conure
Both my wife and unfortunately both had COVID 19. Her case was worse than mine. But we are both better now, and tested negative. We of course cleaned our home from top to bottom. (We did this well before we bought our sun conure)

My question is can conures or even parrots in general catch COVID 19 from humans?

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
No, they can't catch. They can just carry on their feathers (like each object)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
At this point, not that they know of, but they originally said dogs and cats couldn't and both have (repeatedly)...Same with tigers and other animals...catching and spreading it to other animals.
Chickens were also a point of concern, due to the large outbreaks in poultry facilities, but that may or may not be related to the birds.

If your bird is showing signs of illness, I would call ahead and explain that you both had covid so that the vet is prepared.

In the meantime, I would practice extreme social distancing and keep yourselves and birds away from others (as your bird could potentially carry it--no evidence for or against that) and because you (as a human) can catch it more than once, given the limited antibody time-frame and 7+ strains circulating. Immunity to 1 lasts for a maximum of 3 months (roughly, as far as we know) and even then, you still have 6 others to worry about between now and the end of that 3 month period.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very happy to hear that you have recovered from this deadly virus! SARS-CoV-2 is a very serious virus and I strongly recommend that you contact your Medical Care Professional and request a Blood Test to verify that you in fact have antibodies and what level (volume). If so, please consider providing blood for use to develop antibodies in others who seriously need to be protected from this monster virus.

To everything that I have read, and have heard from my CAV, this virus does not effect Birds. As noted above, at least as of this date, poultry including ducks, geese, turkey and Parrots, plus Birds in general do not contact this virus. This likely do to the DNA base of this virus and its targeting Humans and mammals.

NOTE: The poultry industry is huge and they are testing and searching for any signs of this Virus jumping species.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
The issue is that, while it does not currently seem to impact birds, it could, given enough exposure (as these viruses mutate). That is why you should always be cautious with a virus like this, even if no transmission is documented...because it jumped to humans without any warning, and that was likely due to repeat/extended exposure. Originally, it only impacted bats or pangolins (reportedly) but then, one day, it impacted people too.

On top of that, there are many strains, so resistance to one does not translate to all, and even then, resistance is very short-lived.

Last edited:

Most Reactions