Crazy amounts of PURRING...

Flashback

Mar 4, 2014
Holiday, FL
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
SoOOOoOoOoo... Flash freaked me out about 3 days after we'd brought her home. I was cleaning her cage out one afternoon.. she suddenly jumped into the front corner of her cage - closest to me - raised her rear end, dropped her neck, pulled her head back & started purring.. purring so loud it seemed like a growl to me. I backed up & watched her.. talking to her & studying the movements, etc. Paused because I figured I'd spooked her & that perhaps this was a warning shot fired in my direction! :p But, I was truly perplexed. She did not demonstrate any nervousness while doing this.. no anger.. no hissing, no open beak.. I was honestly afraid she was about to drop over from fresh air at that point. (An unfortunate joke we'd made since rescuing her from her previous arrangement) :52:

I walked away for a moment & came back when she was 'done'. Didn't see it again that entire day...

Over the next several days I noticed it more & more. However, only when *I* was near her! My husband (totally NOT a bird-person) said "oh, yeah - dad said she used to do that all the time. She thinks she's laying an egg."

I wish I could show you the face I made when he said that. Like, OK, no. :20:

So once her talons were trimmed up & I'd cleaned most of the tar off of her (she came from a nasty, very SMOKEY home), I pulled her out one night to see how she'd react to my cuddle-advances.

No sooner did I get her on my lap after I sat down, I noticed her acting anxious. I slowed down a bit & observed... she then took the purr stance again & leaned into me... resting the top of her head on my chest, closed her eyes, & waited.... waited for PETS...

She'd been begging me for cuddles!!! I cried. No, I'm not ashamed of that. I cried. I've had 4 birds in my lifetime... & not once have I ever seen one purr to this extent!

Now, I realize what's going on. It's Flash's "get me out & hold me!" call!

When she sees me come in from work, she begins purring immediately. I let her out of her cage, give her a cuddle & she's then content to play on her playpen for a while before moving on to the next adventure.

Anyone else have a crazy, purring, Amazon!?!

Our CAG would purr on rare occasion when getting hard pets down his back... but I am telling you - Flash is so different... she purrs to request lovins... not just once it's happening.

I am in love. :eek:

:greenyellow:

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
That sounds so adorable to watch! I'm glad Flash is happy in her new home. :)
Though I don't have personal experience with zons, only friends who have had them, I will warn you that it is their *mating season* So when giving cuddles it's best to avoid places like the back, behind the neck, and under the wings (sensual areas for birdies.) And I hear they tend to become very protective of their human partners.. haha.
But other than that she sounds like she's doing wonderfully!! I'm glad you cleaned her up and I can only hope she won't roll over from "fresh air poisoning".. hehe. Zons are wonderful birds, I absolutely love them and am excited to read stories about your family and Flash. :)

OP
Flashback

Flashback

Mar 4, 2014
Holiday, FL
Parrots
Though I don't have personal experience with zons, only friends who have had them, I will warn you that it is their *mating season* So when giving cuddles it's best to avoid places like the back, behind the neck, and under the wings (sensual areas for birdies.) And I hear they tend to become very protective of their human partners.. haha.
But other than that she sounds like she's doing wonderfully!! I'm glad you cleaned her up and I can only hope she won't roll over from "fresh air poisoning".. hehe. Zons are wonderful birds, I absolutely love them and am excited to read stories about your family and Flash. :)

AhHHHHHhhh!! Of course I'd thought of the mating thing - but thought - she's 27 years old - She's not into that stuff anymore!

But, if you're right, I'm suddenly feeling like I need a shower! :p

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas

AhHHHHHhhh!! Of course I'd thought of the mating thing - but thought - she's 27 years old - She's not into that stuff anymore!

Hahaha.. I know plenty of 27 year olds who aren't "over it" yet.. feathered and human!! Hehe. 'zons live to be upward of 60+ years old, so I don't see why they wouldn't be laying eggs or atleast *trying* the whole time.. hehe.
I had a cockatiel who was 24(around the age a cockatiel should live to be) and she still laid eggs until about a month before she passed.. Maybe you can take Flash into the shower with you and you can both was the *yuck* off. Hehe. Perfect opportunity to bond!! :09:

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Yes my amazon at 36 purrs like a kitten. Um mm and your gal at 27 is in the prime of her life and very much into the mating thing.

OP
Flashback

Flashback

Mar 4, 2014
Holiday, FL
Parrots

Hahaha.. I know plenty of 27 year olds who aren't "over it" yet.. feathered and human!! Hehe. 'zons live to be upward of 60+ years old, so I don't see why they wouldn't be laying eggs or atleast *trying* the whole time.. hehe.
I had a cockatiel who was 24(around the age a cockatiel should live to be) and she still laid eggs until about a month before she passed.. Maybe you can take Flash into the shower with you and you can both was the *yuck* off. Hehe. Perfect opportunity to bond!! :09:

I could fall off my chair right now. From either laughing or crying. It could really go either way.

(JK - totally LMAO!)

I may have to try a whole new approach tonight! :cool:

:eek:

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Oh, you sexy thing you! My DYA is flamboyant and loves drama. Every morning is like opening treasure box as I never know what I'm going to see her do.

OP
Flashback

Flashback

Mar 4, 2014
Holiday, FL
Parrots
Yes my amazon at 36 purrs like a kitten. Um mm and your gal at 27 is in the prime of her life and very much into the mating thing.

Oh Sandy... I think I was hoping this wasn't the case (hey - I'm almost 31 & most days I'm 'over it'! LMAO)... I think I will continue to tell myself she's just madly in love with my hugs & isn't hoping I'm about to help her lay a good egg!

:p

OP
Flashback

Flashback

Mar 4, 2014
Holiday, FL
Parrots
Oh, you sexy thing you! My DYA is flamboyant and loves drama. Every morning is like opening treasure box as I never know what I'm going to see her do.

This is my first Zon & I'm HOOKED... they are amazingly hilarious... Flash would NOT go to bed last night.. I'm telling you... screaming thru the house at 12am "Hello Flash, BEND OVER!"

My 3 year old loves to point out "Mommy, Flash just said BEND OVER!"

SMH.

:eek:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yup. It's a mating thing, and at 27, she is still a young lady (they live as long as we do). Male birds do the humping thing, but females do, well the backing their butt up and making ridiculous noises thing. My mom's female amazon is well over 45 and still does "that" when spring rolls around. Luckily, most female amazons just do the horny dance and never actually lay eggs unless they mate. If I'm not mistaken, they can breed all their lives once they're sexually mature though.

Anyways, zons are wonderful birds, and it sounds like you've got a real character with this one. I'm betting Flash will thrive in the fresh air! Shows what a hardy little trooper she is to have handled all that smoke for all those years. While I would never recommend smoking around parrots, it just goes to prove how resilient they can be if put in the situation:) Keep us updated on her and her progress (and if you have questions). Theres a lot of zon owners on here, and we're all "hooked" too :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Oh Sandy... I think I was hoping this wasn't the case (hey - I'm almost 31 & most days I'm 'over it'! LMAO)... I think I will continue to tell myself she's just madly in love with my hugs & isn't hoping I'm about to help her lay a good egg!

:p

A friend of mine has a DYH in his 60's who still has the urge come breeding season...

Purring is an affection thing. It doesn't necessarily mean mating. Like regurging, and amazon perfume, it means "I love you."

My red lored does this one as well. So did my BFA. So did my nape.

The DYH... NOT SO MUCH!

OP
Flashback

Flashback

Mar 4, 2014
Holiday, FL
Parrots
I'm blown away. I'm a 2nd generation "bird person" & even my mother had never seen this with any of her birds!

I'm going to tell myself she's not being pervy & that she just thinks I give the best pets. ;)

Thank you all for your input - super cool to know I'm not the only one lucky enough to have such a lovey dove. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm blown away. I'm a 2nd generation "bird person" & even my mother had never seen this with any of her birds!

I'm going to tell myself she's not being pervy & that she just thinks I give the best pets. ;)

Thank you all for your input - super cool to know I'm not the only one lucky enough to have such a lovey dove. :)

Well that's an amazon specific noise. And it's a "sometimes" thing... Never heard my DYH do it. Never heard my lilac crowned do it.

The red lored does it when she craves attention.

With the nape and the BFA it was almost a greeting... Just a happy to see you thing.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Purring is madly in love and affection thing and a happy thing

Butt up in air, well that's a mating thing. It si hormonal season right now and she has found a new love LOL
Don't let her have nest spots or she will try and lay eggs. Take a look around for old threads on amazon being hormonal some good info.

Last year was my first year with Bosley and he was pretty hormonal, this year seems less intense so far.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
She sounds like such a treat to have around! Funny girl :). I am happy she's setttling so well in the abundant fresh air and loving enviroment.

jbail1026

Aug 6, 2012
Media
Lexington, KY
Parrots
Family bird: Yellow-Naped Amazon (George '88)
My girl: Turquoise Peachfaced lovebird (Ollie Belle, hatched 9/1/13)
I think she's precious! Happy she's happy.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
AWWWW! Yaaay flash! She's just a little exotic dancer!!!

OP
Flashback

Flashback

Mar 4, 2014
Holiday, FL
Parrots
Haha! Yes! Seriously... She cracks me up! She was doing the tail-raising again tonight, but almost as if she'd read this post, she was sticking her rear towards me! Gahh!!!

My son: "hey mommy, she's showing you her butt!!"

Thank you son. Disturbed on so many levels. Bahaha

I ignored that behavior by the way. And have gotten only happy purrs since.

:greenyellow:

:D

Most Reactions